Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by hughver on 06 Mar 2023
  • Yesterday I whipped up the filling for tamale pie for tonight's supper. I changed up my ingredients from my normal recipe. For the protein I used one pound each ground beef, ground pork and pulled pork. I was out of bell pepper, so I used a cup of diced carrots and a cup of diced celery. I also add some taco seasoning in addition to the normal cumin, cayenne and chili powder. I'm not sure how many pies this will make, I'll probably use 1-1.5" of filling per pie topped with masa, broth, salt, butter, cheese and baking powder. I'll freeze/vacuum pack all but one unbaked.
  • #2 by hughver on 06 Mar 2023
  • In the oven, done in 25 minutes. The two-quart casserole version is in the oven for tonight, the two pie plates are cooling to be placed in oversized baggies and put into the freezer. will vacuum pack after frozen.
  • #3 by jdmessner on 06 Mar 2023
  • That looks good. I know what I am having for dinner tomorrow night! I just happen to have some pulled pork and sausage that I was trying to figure out a way to use up. 
  • #4 by pmillen on 07 Mar 2023
  • Yes, that does look good.  I've never heard of Tamale Pie but it's on my list of things to try.  I'll scour the Internet for a recipe that even a dope like me can successfully follow.

👍
  • #5 by Bentley on 07 Mar 2023
  • Is your maize dough simple masa and liquid?  Is it just on top like potatoes in a Shepard's Pie?
  • #6 by hughver on 08 Mar 2023
  • It's a dough like consistency, sort of like Shepards pie. The one that I did a few days ago the topping did not do well. It ended up more like a pie crust than the normal thin corn bread consistency.
  • #7 by Bentley on 08 Mar 2023
  • So would it be correct that you look for more of a corn bread consistency then a steamed tamale texture for the finished product?  Is the topping made of masa flour or corn meal?
  • #8 by hughver on 08 Mar 2023
  • The topping consist of Mase, baking powder, beef broth, butter, salt and cheddar cheese, combined an spread over the top. And yes it looks somewhat like corn bread, at least it has in the past.
Pages:
Actions