Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by BigDave83 on 13 Mar 2023
  • The GF called  me at lunch time and as usual she gets me into all kinds of Stuff (we will use that word so as to not upset the language algo.)

Friday her boss wants everyone to bring in Irish dish. Someone  is making a green cake, which upset her because she was going to go to the bakery and get shamrock cookies, no need for 2 desserts I guess.

So any ideas on something simple to make that could hold for 3-4 hours?

I am  not sure what others are making I hope to find that out. She said she doubts she will be eating as mentions of Irish stew and corned beef and cabbage were brought up. She does not like cabbage.

• #2 by Bar-B-Lew on 13 Mar 2023
  • corned beef sliders or pinwheels
  • #3 by Bentley on 13 Mar 2023
  • Soda Bread.
  • #4 by elenis on 14 Mar 2023
  • Soda Bread.

I would second doing Irish Soda Bread, especially if they are going to have a stew. When my wife and her mom were in Ireland and were trying to not spend a fortune on food (this was late 2009) they mostly ate at pubs and primarily had stew and soda bread. Not being beer drinkers they drank hard cider mostly because it cost less then pop does there. Something else you could make that I would think would hold well in a crockpot set to warm is Colcannon. It is essentially an Irish mashed potato dish.
  • #5 by Kristin Meredith on 15 Mar 2023
  • Shepard's pie with hamburger instead of lamb.  Could actually assemble in a crock pot to keep warm
  • #6 by BigDave83 on 15 Mar 2023
  • Thank you for the ideas, I just found out that her boss decided she wasn't doing the Irish lunch thing. Not sure what they will have, but they are ordering out.

For us Fridays during Lent there are a few local volunteer fire companies that have fish fries, so we end up going to them, so if I do decide to make anything Irish for us it would be Saturday.
  • #7 by elenis on 15 Mar 2023
  • Saturday would be when we will do something fun as well, food wise, to celebrate St. Patrick's Day. It used to not mean much to me since I don't drink alcohol and was just a good way to get corned beef on sale, but since my daughter started Irish dance it is called green season and it goes on for several weeks of her dancing at all kinds of events. The last two years she takes off school for the day so she can dance all over. Last year my son, and her twin, joined us, but he said he would rather go to school then watch her dance all day so he is staying in school this year and going to a friend's house since our stuff won't be over until 9 or 10pm.
Pages:
Actions