Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Canadian John on 15 Mar 2023

•  That's right, BEEF BACON, I had never heard of it before encountering it @ our local market.. We had to try it.

Looks almost like regular bacon, cooks up quickly & a big surprise - did not stick to the griddle.   

How did it turn out? Super good, almost like pork belly bacon with a beefy taste.

After the bacon, I fried eggs. No hint of sticking. Finally the griddle was wiped clean with nothing stuck to it.

The market lady raises & butchers all her grass fed beef that is grain fed prior to butchering. A nice touch in today's wonder where & how animals are raised.

Another never heard of was a Denver steak. No fat, no gristle, no waste. Slightly tough. The good taste, price & no waste offset any toughness.

• #2 by Bar-B-Lew on 15 Mar 2023
  • #3 by elenis on 15 Mar 2023
  • Denver steaks are nice when you can find them. I bought beef bacon once and it was just kind of disappointing, I was expecting something great for how much it cost and it just didn't seem to do anything to improve on bacon from the pork belly. I know what the US calls bacon they call streaky bacon in the UK, but not sure how you differentiate it in Canada. I know what we call Canadian bacon is typically back bacon or peameal bacon.
  • #4 by Bentley on 16 Mar 2023
  • I would think if it was cured like bacon it would taste like corned beef.  What am I missing?
  • #5 by Canadian John on 16 Mar 2023
  • I would think if it was cured like bacon it would taste like corned beef.  What am I missing?
    Corned beef, not.  It has a distinctive taste that may be due to the fat of which there is a goodly amount.

The only thing you are missing is trying some. Unless you are vegan you should find it good.
  • #6 by Bentley on 16 Mar 2023
  • Maybe I am assuming.  Next time you are in the shop would you ask a couple of generic question.  I don't want trade secrets, I am just curious if it is cure with anything.  Whether salt, nitrates, or a combination of.  Your statement that it tasted like belly bacon with a beef flavor has me messed up I guess.  I guess I will ask this.  If you took a nice marbled rib-eye, cut it the thickness of this beef bacon, salt n peppered it and fried it, do you think it would taste the same as this?

Will look for it next time in the store, but don't think I have ever seen it sold in any of our local stores.  Will have to go the Wal-mart site right now.
  • #7 by BigDave83 on 16 Mar 2023
  • Bentley, I had it a long time ago, I had seen it at a shop and bought some. I don't recall what cut was used. It was a different taste.

The cure and cut are what will make it taste different. Think bacon and buckboard bacon and ham. three different cuts all cured and all taste different. Now to get to your ribeye, with out the cure you will just have thin seasoned fried steak.  Just like brisket has a flavor but when you cure it for corned beef or pastrami it changes the flavor of the same cut, much like pork loin or tenderloin cured for Canadian style bacon same cut different flavor.

I would be curious as to the cut that was used for the beef bacon, probably something the interweb can tell me.
  • #8 by Bentley on 16 Mar 2023
  • That was kind of my point though.  A piece of beef cured is pretty much gonna taste like CB.  I sure they use the navel cut!
  • #9 by Canadian John on 18 Mar 2023

•  BEEF BACON ANSWERS to Bent's questions.

The  bacon comes from the brisket point area.  It is smoked.  Cost is $11/ LB.. 

Re: the marbled ribeye fried Taste question.  It could very well taste similar, especially if it was smoked, no salt & pepper.
  • #10 by elenis on 19 Mar 2023
  • Maybe I am assuming.  Next time you are in the shop would you ask a couple of generic question.  I don't want trade secrets, I am just curious if it is cure with anything.  Whether salt, nitrates, or a combination of.  Your statement that it tasted like belly bacon with a beef flavor has me messed up I guess.  I guess I will ask this.  If you took a nice marbled rib-eye, cut it the thickness of this beef bacon, salt n peppered it and fried it, do you think it would taste the same as this?

Will look for it next time in the store, but don't think I have ever seen it sold in any of our local stores.  Will have to go the Wal-mart site right now.

I think you mentioned you had Kroger grocery stores as an option where you live Bentley, but I might be making that up. My local Kroger carries Devanco Foods Hickory Smoked Beef Bacon. I haven't tried that brand, but like I mentioned I got some from a specialty grocery store years ago and was all excited until it turned out disappointing. I wouldn't have even minded if it would have reminded me of corned beef, but it isn't like that at all.
  • #11 by okie smokie on 20 Mar 2023
  • Unless it is confirmed to taste, and fry up better, why waste extra money on beef bacon? Unless your religion forbids eating pork?
  • #12 by okie smokie on 20 Mar 2023
  • Unless it is confirmed to taste, and fry up better, why waste extra money on beef bacon? Unless your religion forbids eating pork?
  • #13 by Canadian John on 20 Mar 2023
      Why you ask. Well, first off I had never heard of it nor tried it & I enjoy beef.    Fry up better - you bet: not only faster, there was no way it was going to stick to the cooking surface....The extra money. Not

exactly sure the of the price difference between it and our custom cut & cured premium pork bacon as my wife foots the bill for groceries.... Money doesn't always rule especially when a food treat is on the

horizon, at least for us old folks.
  • #14 by BigDave83 on 20 Mar 2023
  • Here is a walk through on how these guys do Beef Bacon. The video is 30 minutes but you can FF through some of it.

From start to finish with a cook comparison at the end.

https://youtu.be/t0BFk6RdS1M
  • #15 by Canadian John on 21 Mar 2023

•  Thanks Dave.  That was an excellent walk thru.  These guys are GOOD.  Their tasting results reflect mine.
Pages:
Actions