Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by reubenray on 18 Mar 2023
  • Has anyone set up something like this?  I am thinking of ways to be able to cook if the power is off for an extended length of time. 
  • #2 by BigDave83 on 18 Mar 2023
  • I believe you would be good if you used solar to charge a battery.

I use one of the jump boxes below on my GMG DC I have done several 3-6 hour cooks from start with it and it still had plenty of power to start a car or two.

Now the jump box only helps if you have a 12V grill.

You may also want to look in to one of the small inverter generators. if it is not something you will use often use a good dose of Seafoam in the fuel or if you can find one that will run off propane,that would be better yet.

this is the box I have it is probably 10+ years old.

https://www.amazon.com/Clore-Automotive-Jump-N-Carry-JNC660-Starter/dp/B000JFJLP6?th=1
  • #3 by ylr on 18 Mar 2023
  • A Jackery Solar Generator would be ideal for your use case, but they ain't cheap.
  • #4 by 02ebz06 on 18 Mar 2023
  • When in Texas I had power go out 6 times one Saturday while I was BBQ'ing.
    So I invested is a 1500W Meanwell inverter and a battery.
    It has the ability to charge the battery by A/C and Solar.
  • #5 by reubenray on 18 Mar 2023
  • A Jackery Solar Generator would be ideal for your use case, but they ain't cheap.

I came across them when searching.  Most of their models are overkill for what I want.  What I don't know is what size  would I need to power the pellet smoker.
  • #6 by 02ebz06 on 18 Mar 2023

• I came across them when searching.  Most of their models are overkill for what I want.  What I don't know is what size  would I need to power the pellet smoker.

If you have a label on the smoker, it should tell you how many watts it uses.
    Usually no more than 10-20 watts when igniter is on an only 4-6 after.
  • #7 by elenis on 19 Mar 2023
  • You will want one of those kinds of integrated boxes that you can just keep topped off in the house when not in use, over trying to come up with the solar equipment to run it. By the time you messed with batteries, the inverter and solar panels you'd have quite a bit of money in it for the limited times it happens to you. If you have natural gas run to your house you could look at a whole home generator with an automatic transfer switch and you keep keep it all running. Quite a few companies offer the jackery kind of things these days. I know Anker makes one as well and I have seen quite a few other companies as well. I would imagine you could get away with a smaller one and be fine with your smoker.
  • #8 by ScottE on 23 Mar 2023
  • Honestly, if the only purpose of this would be to run the pellet grill, I'd just use a cheap inverter running off a car battery, and disconnect the ignitor - using alcohol gel or whatever to start it. I used to do this all the time at a recurring BBQ where there was no power. Once started, pellet grills don't pull that much current. For longer run times I'd probably want a separate battery rather than running straight off a vehicle though. This approach will save you hundreds if not a thousand dollars.
  • #9 by Brushpopper on 23 Mar 2023
  • Honestly, if the only purpose of this would be to run the pellet grill, I'd just use a cheap inverter running off a car battery, and disconnect the ignitor - using alcohol gel or whatever to start it. I used to do this all the time at a recurring BBQ where there was no power. Once started, pellet grills don't pull that much current. For longer run times I'd probably want a separate battery rather than running straight off a vehicle though. This approach will save you hundreds if not a thousand dollars.

Could you also hook a 5W or 10W 12V solar charger to the battery while using it?  I remember reading somewhere that the fan and auger don't draw much. 
  • #10 by BigDave83 on 23 Mar 2023
  • Amazon has EcoFlow on todays deals.

My cousin's husband has a couple of them they use when they  go camping. I don't think he has the solar cells though.

Not sure if something like this would work for you or is in the cost area you want to be in.

https://www.amazon.com/deal/bd962889?showVariations=true&moreDeals=e2061e6f&ref=dotd_h_t&ref_=pe_837390_707844900
  • #11 by 1MoreFord on 23 Mar 2023

If you can get the car close enough to the grill where you don't need to take the battery out of the car why not start and run the car while the grill starts up and then shut the car off?
  • #12 by ScottE on 25 Mar 2023
  • If you can get the car close enough to the grill where you don't need to take the battery out of the car why not start and run the car while the grill starts up and then shut the car off?
    You certainly could, though in my case with a recurring BBQ we wouldn't have wanted a vehicle running in the middle of a group of people, but also I had a small inverter that wouldn't run the hot rod. At any rate, there are many options!
  • #13 by Jimsbarbecue on 26 Mar 2023
  • Have run a MAK grill off a 600 watt inverter many times . With a 12 volt deep cycle and the inverter I have cooked every night for a week straight. With a solar panel if could work all the time.
Pages:
Actions