Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Bentley on 31 Mar 2023
  • I have a friend that likes carnitas.  Back here what passes for carnitas seems more like chunked pork shoulder.  So I decided to make some for him tonight that is what we used to get when we golfed in Tijuana.  2 hours submerged in Lard in 225° oven.  Comes out fork tender, but fat is still rubbery.  Then (in this case way to long) deep fried in same lard for 3 minutes.  Very dry and bad.  Glad I practiced.  I will try a more robust version tonight.  Will still some what confit the pork, but will then finish in a broth I saw on youtube.  OJ, quartered orange, evaporated milk, garlic and bay leave.  That will cook for an hour then will chop and sere with an avocado pico de gallo, and tomato/tomatillo/onion and jalapeno salsa!

• #2 by Bentley on 31 Mar 2023
  • The vegies for salsa, the avocado pico de gallo, the pork , the beans and the marinade/stewing broth for carnitas (OJ, coke, garlic, bay leaves and evaporated milk)!

• #3 by Bar-B-Lew on 31 Mar 2023
  • good luck.  I hope it turns out to your expectations.
  • #4 by Hank D Thoreau on 31 Mar 2023
  • You might want to try using a crock pot. I did some good pork rib ends that way twice this week. They came out great.

It was raining so I could not use the smoker.

No rain for the next week or so. I have the smoker cranked up now. Doing a meatloaf tonight and beef ribs tomorrow.
  • #5 by Bar-B-Lew on 31 Mar 2023
  • You might want to try using a crock pot. I did some good pork rib ends that way twice this week. They came out great.

No rain for the next week or so. I have the smoker cranked up now. Doing a meatloaf tonight and beef ribs tomorrow.

When I lived in Chula Vista for 15 months, I think it may have rained no more than 10 times.  It was crazy when it rained because the oil from the streets rose on top of the water and caused lots of accidents similar to driving on ice in other parts of the country.

How crazy has the last 3-4 months weather been where you live comparative to your normal experience?
  • #6 by Bentley on 31 Mar 2023
  • Would not work for this style of carnitas!

You might want to try using a crock pot.
  • #7 by Hank D Thoreau on 31 Mar 2023

When I lived in Chula Vista for 15 months, I think it may have rained no more than 10 times.  It was crazy when it rained because the oil from the streets rose on top of the water and caused lots of accidents similar to driving on ice in other parts of the country.

How crazy has the last 3-4 months weather been where you live comparative to your normal experience?

It has been storm after storm since this started in December. I was gone for 31 days in Patagonia, so I missed some of it.

This is after what felt like a never-ending summer.

The last time we had this much rain led to the super bloom in the spring of 2019. We thrash been thrashing between many years of little rain followed by occasional years of deluge.
  • #8 by Hank D Thoreau on 31 Mar 2023
  • Would not work for this style of carnitas!

You might want to try using a crock pot.

What are you looking for? It looks like braised chunks instead of pulled.

I saw some recipes that use a pressure cooker or Instapot for that style.

I have not made carnitas that way.

If you like your result you may want to document it on the Mexican Food thread.
Pages:
Actions