Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by hughver on 11 Apr 2023
  • Our local Kroger stores have USDA Choice rib roast on sale for $4.97/ lb. I bought four of them. I took each of them and broke them down to ribs, flap meat and ribeye (Roast/Steaks). The picture below is after cutting but before trim. I will cut two of the roasts into 1.5-inch steaks. I'll roll and tie the flap meat and also cut it into steaks. I read where one chef when asked what his favorite cut of beef was, replied, cut off the flap meat and get rid of the rest of the cow. Having done this before, I almost agree. Medium rare, It's the most flavorful beef I've ever tasted.
  • #2 by 02ebz06 on 11 Apr 2023
  • Dang, I'd have probably bought 4 too, but my wife has banned me from all meat counters until I cook at least half of what we have now.   :'(
  • #3 by Bentley on 11 Apr 2023
  • If you will go to the 7:50 mark of the video.  Is what he peels off what you are calling the flap?  Or are you referring to the spinalis steak portion of the cut?

PRIME Beef VS CHOICE Beef | The Bearded Butchers

I'll roll and tie the flap meat and also cut it into steaks.

• #4 by hughver on 11 Apr 2023
  • Yes, I think that spinalis is the correct term. This is a video that I watched https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXttpFnwdMsd.
  • #5 by yorkdude on 12 Apr 2023
  • Lucky you, looks excellent.
  • #6 by reubenray on 12 Apr 2023
  • Dang, I'd have probably bought 4 too, but my wife has banned me from all meat counters until I cook at least half of what we have now.   :'(

Ditto - it has been weeks since I looked in the meat section at Sam's Club or Walmart.  I did hit the Tyson Outlet store yesterday, but only got sausage and bacon this time.
  • #7 by JoeGrilling on 12 Apr 2023
  • Our local Costco sells ribeye cap steaks all the time in prime and American Wagu.  I agree with the chef's comment about the cut.  My family loves them.
  • #8 by hughver on 07 May 2023
  • I'm fixing a bare (i.e. no fat cap ) ribeye roast tonight for guest. I marinated it overnight and am currently smoking at 160. My plan is to smoke to 85°  then put into 500°  oven until IT is 125° . What do you think. is this going to work? I'm looking for medium rare, slightly smokey and not dry. I could put it into my steam oven and set the humidity to 100%.Help!
  • #9 by hughver on 08 May 2023
  • The results were acceptable, but I've been cooking low and slow too long. I overlooked that the overshoot is much greater at 500° than 225°. I pulled roast at 124° and by the time we ate it was 136°. my guest ask for rare, I should have pulled at 115° or 120° or kept it at 500° for lot less time. Live and learn.
  • #10 by Bentley on 09 May 2023
  • Yep. But I bet 136 was some pretty fine eating beef!
  • #11 by hughver on 09 May 2023
  • Yes it was very good, very moist but not as tender as I was expecting.
Pages:
Actions