Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Polekitty on 08 Oct 2017
  • Cooked my first chuckie yesterday. It was a 2.5# that I put my brisket rub on, threw it in the CC DLX at the hi-smoke (225) setting. Cooked at that setting for 3 hours. Pulled it and wrapped it and then cooked it until the IT was 198 which only took about another 2 hours at the same temp. It rested about 2 hours before unwrapping it and to my surprise, it was a little tough. Very good flavor and good smoke ring. The wife thinks I cooked it too long. She cooks these things in the oven covered at 375 for 2 1/2 hours, never checks it or checks the IT and falls apart while trying to get it to the plate. I wonder if the final IT is that big of a deal. Gonna try another one but this time I'm reducing the cook time after wrapping by 30 minutes.
  • #2 by mowin on 08 Oct 2017
  • Could be you IT was too low.  Try taking it to 203 or just go by probe tender.

Your wife basically braised the roast at a higher temp.
  • #3 by Polekitty on 08 Oct 2017
  • Ya think another 5 degrees would make that much deference?
  • #4 by Bobitis on 08 Oct 2017
  • yes.
  • #5 by Trooper on 08 Oct 2017
  • Under cooked chuckie
    vs.
    Over done chuckie

Go with the over done chuck roast. It's actually hard to do
    The fat and connective tissues continue to break down to a soft jello consistency in the LONG cooks.
  • #6 by Maineac on 08 Oct 2017
  • When I make Pepper Stout Beef I have to take chuck to 210-211 before it will probe and pull well.  You didn't overcook it.
  • #7 by Bar-B-Lew on 08 Oct 2017
  • I guess it all depends on what you wanted to do with it.  I have only ever used chuck for burnt ends and for pulled beef.  Like others said, I like to cook them to 200-210 depending on probe tender temp.
  • #8 by Polekitty on 08 Oct 2017
  • When you refer to probing, are you talking about sticking the temp probe in it? I was going to pull it like a butt, but that didn't work out. So I'm going to heat it up before I pull the ribs off and try slicing it.
  • #9 by Bar-B-Lew on 08 Oct 2017
  • Yes, stick the thermapen or something similar in and if it goes in like butter the meat is done.
  • #10 by Polekitty on 08 Oct 2017
  • Thanks, I'll get one.
  • #11 by mowin on 08 Oct 2017
  • A skewer or even a long toothpick works just as well.  Probe in a few different places to make sure it slides in with no resistance. 

Of course if you NEED a excuses to get a instant read thermometer, this one might work.  Lol
  • #12 by Craig in Indy on 10 Oct 2017
  • I'll throw my :2cents: in with the crowd saying your IT was too low. I do mine to 203-205 and it comes out great, but it's also basically braised for the final 2-3 hours, in a loose foil boat with garlic, onions, potatoes, carrots and beer.
Pages:
Actions