Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by ArborAgent on 08 Oct 2017
  • I want a cooler for holding meats and general utility. Here are my two options:

50 liter
    Outside Dimensions: 28.6"x17.4"x17"
    Inside Dimensions: 23"x11.6"x11.4"

70 liter
    Outside Dimensions: 30.5"x19.25"x18"
    Inside Dimensions: 24.75"x13.625"x12.5"

Thoughts on which size to get? I’m leaning towards the 50 if it’s big enough.

My fear is that the 70 will be bigger than I’ll need and too heavy to move when it’s full of ice and drinks.

Thoughts?

• #2 by hughver on 08 Oct 2017
  • I suspect that the best size depends on your needs. The 50 L would probably get more use since the typical demand for a 70 L would be somewhat less. The size is important but it's ability to hold ice for long periods is equally important. Do some research and buy a good one. :2cents:
  • #3 by pmillen on 08 Oct 2017
  • Internet search on RTIC coolers.  I own a Yeti and an RTIC.  RTIC is same cooler, half price.

Also do an Internet search for a site called Coolers On Sale.  Look at the Pelican vs. Yeti page.  I don't own a Pelican but I understand they're excellent.

I saw interesting coolers at Cabela's.
  • #4 by ArborAgent on 08 Oct 2017
  • I’m looking at the Camp Chef which appear to be in the same style of rotomolded coolers.

I think the 50 is probably the way to go.
  • #5 by mowin on 08 Oct 2017
  • I picked up a roto molded cooler at Walmart this summer. Think it was about $100. Used it several times in 80+* temps. Held ice better than any Colman type I've ever used.  Used it for FTC several times. Good option for me money.
  • #6 by ArborAgent on 08 Oct 2017
  • I just measured a 20 pounder I have in the fridge and I think the 50 will be fine.

Uncooked, my brisket will barely fit in the cooler. It’s as long as the inside container. However, once it shrinks down a bit after cooking, it’ll be snug but I think it’ll fit.

Thoughts?
  • #7 by Phrett on 08 Oct 2017
  • I have a large one that rarely gets used and a Yeti Roadie that’s too small for meats.  I’m planning on grabbing the 50 RTIC for a perfect size.  Orca and Orion also have some nice ones.
  • #8 by hughver on 08 Oct 2017
  • I have two Igloo Sportsman coolers (20 & 55 Qt.) and they hold ice exceptionally well and are reasonably priced at Sam's Club.
  • #9 by InThePitBBQ on 08 Oct 2017
  • Internet search on RTIC coolers.  I own a Yeti and an RTIC.  RTIC is same cooler, half price.

Also do an Internet search for a site called Coolers On Sale.  Look at the Pelican vs. Yeti page.  I don't own a Pelican but I understand they're excellent.

I saw interesting coolers at Cabela's.
    This is solid advice, I started with Yeti's and have since bought all new RTIC's for substantially less money they are almost perfect copies of each other.

A 45 quart will hold enough BBQ to feed a small army, a 20 quart would be perfect for most cooks like half chickens etc. when you want to hold food a few hours as it comes off to feed a large group all at once.
    • InThePitBBQ
  • #10 by pmillen on 08 Oct 2017
  • I just measured a 20 pounder I have in the fridge and I think the 50 will be fine.

Uncooked, my brisket will barely fit in the cooler. It’s as long as the inside container. However, once it shrinks down a bit after cooking, it’ll be snug but I think it’ll fit.

Thoughts?

Will there be room for the towel after it shrinks?
  • #11 by Timbo1010 on 08 Oct 2017
  • This is why I love this form, all the information here! I've been looking at a Yeti for a while but haven't been able to stomach the price. Never even heard of RITC, I think it's time to get a new cooler :cool:
  • #12 by ArborAgent on 08 Oct 2017

Thoughts?

Will there be room for the towel after it shrinks?

Definitely above and below. Not sure about the sides.
  • #13 by keithj69 on 09 Oct 2017
  • not in the size range you are talking about, but i love my Coleman 25-Quart Party Stacker Cooler.  I have 2 and they are great for when i cook and take food to the family.
  • #14 by Rick on 09 Oct 2017
  • Now I understand why there are so many sizes of coolers.  Everybody approaches it in different ways.  Yeti's Tundra series has 13 sizes now!

My personal opinion....   I tried going the cheaper route and went with an popular leading brand.  It was around 100qt (for competitions) and I think I paid $90.  It broke the first time out.  They did replace it but I can only fill it up to about a 1/3rd or it will break again. 

So I ended up replacing it with the 105 qt Yeti.  I have to say, I LOVE this size.  It's small enough I can get my arms around it to grab both handles.  It's very heavy loaded up, but I can at least get it on and off the trailer and move it by myself.  The thing I love most about it is that I can fit a full size pan in it.  Actually, I can fit three.  I love being able to trim/inject big meats in a pan and then simply cover the pan and put it in the cooler.

I rest everything in a full size pan as well.  I use a cambro but if I ever needed extra space, the 105 qt yeti could be used as well.

For home use...  Maybe it's over kill.

My 105's measure 14 1/4” × 23” × 12 1/2” (internal).  That is pretty similar to the 70 L that you are considering.  Yes it will be a two man job when loaded up but the bigger one gives you a lot more flexibility.

• #15 by Bar-B-Lew on 09 Oct 2017
  • I waste/spend a lot of money on a lot of different things including all of my grills and thermometers.  However, I just can't get myself to spend the amount of money that these coolers that you all are talking about.  My brother has several of them and loves them, but I just can't pull the trigger.  Maybe one day I will get a hand me down from him like I did on his big Igloo cooler which is good enough for me to load with beers for a weekend party.
Pages:
Actions