Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by pmillen on 04 May 2023
  • A guy who seemed to know what he was talking about suggested that I smoke ribs bare, pull them from the pit when they're done, and then apply the rub.  He says to serve them immediately.

He said a compromise would be to smoke them seasoned with salt and pepper and rub them 30 minutes before they come out of the pit.

Have any of you heard of this method?  Have you tried it?
  • #2 by BigDave83 on 04 May 2023
  • I have not, but I know that if I put to much on the courseness of the grind of some of the spices is something I notice, I would suspect it would be more noticeable applying after cooked. If you are a sauce person I guess one would just add some rub in to the sauce.

We do add more rub in to the pork after it is shredded for flavor.
  • #3 by Bar-B-Lew on 04 May 2023
  • That is the method that the "famous" Rendezvous BBQ restaurant in Memphis makes their ribs.  Cook over a charcoal fire pit and apply rub after plated and take straight to tables.

https://hogsfly.com/history-traditions/
  • #4 by urnmor on 05 May 2023
  • Although this is the first i heard of it it is an interesting idea
  • #5 by 1MoreFord on 05 May 2023
  • That is the method that the "famous" Rendezvous BBQ restaurant in Memphis makes their ribs.  Cook over a charcoal fire pit and apply rub after plated and take straight to tables.

Ahhhh Yes, The Rendezvous, arguably some of the worst "BBQ" in Memphis.
  • #6 by 02ebz06 on 05 May 2023
  • Never heard of doing it that way.
    I always thought that with applying rub before, the salt gets absorbed into the meat to help keep it moist.
  • #7 by Bar-B-Lew on 05 May 2023

It was a novelty thing when I lived there 25+ years ago and before I got into making my own ribs.  I went there a few years ago, and came away with the same opinion as you.  A few years before that, I went to Corky's (another "famous" Memphis BBQ restaurant).  I thought that was worse than the Rendezvous.  Central BBQ has become my go to place now when I get back there.  Do you have a favorite place to go to for BBQ in Memphis?
  • #8 by okie smokie on 05 May 2023
  • Lately I've been just using S&P and saucing at the table if desired. I think the ribs absorb the smoke flavor better, and actually taste better all around. They were so good this last time that we ate almost the whole rack the first meal (two of us). It would be worth your time to try with and without a rub. When using S&P go easy on both or they will be over seasoned. (i.e. don't apply it like you would a rub).  Thinking about giving my rib rubs away.
  • #9 by pmillen on 05 May 2023
  • Lately I've been just using S&P and saucing at the table if desired.

I recall that you wrote about that a while back.  I intended to try it but it slipped to the back of my mind (way back).

Thanks for the reminder.
  • #10 by 1MoreFord on 06 May 2023

It was a novelty thing when I lived there 25+ years ago and before I got into making my own ribs.  I went there a few years ago, and came away with the same opinion as you.  A few years before that, I went to Corky's (another "famous" Memphis BBQ restaurant).  I thought that was worse than the Rendezvous.  Central BBQ has become my go to place now when I get back there.  Do you have a favorite place to go to for BBQ in Memphis?

I've never eaten at Corky's in Memphis but have eaten at one in Central Arkansas and based on that I'll never eat at the one in Memphis.  However beyond ribs I think it's better overall than Rendezvous.
    Like you I'm a fan of Central BBQ.  The one on Central Ave.
  • #11 by okie smokie on 06 May 2023
  • Lately I've been just using S&P and saucing at the table if desired.

I recall that you wrote about that a while back.  I intended to try it but it slipped to the back of my mind (way back).

Thanks for the reminder.
    I think you will be happy with the results. Ribs were pink all the way thru, and had great smoke flavor.
  • #12 by Bar-B-Lew on 07 May 2023

I've never eaten at Corky's in Memphis but have eaten at one in Central Arkansas and based on that I'll never eat at the one in Memphis.  However beyond ribs I think it's better overall than Rendezvous.
    Like you I'm a fan of Central BBQ.  The one on Central Ave.

I have not been that one yet.  I've only been to the one south of Beale St a few times.
Pages:
Actions