Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by BigDave83 on 07 May 2023
  • Over a year ago the copperhead met with a unfortunate mishap. I came home to put something in the garage bay where it was sitting and I pushed the remote button to open the door and and I look and I see the smoker being lifted in the air and before I could close the door it had tipped on it's side, of course it was completely full of pellets making it crash down even harder. Bent the living you know what out of the legs and the chamber. I messed with it afterwards but the door wouldn't close anywhere near tight I could see gaps.

The other day I pulled it out and grabbed the big dead blow hammer and a couple of 2x4 pieces and beat and hammered, a little red RTV and it was a lot better. Still have to do some reinforcing on the legs and some more massaging with the dead blow and 2x4 pieces. I need Bentleys mig welding talent.

My cousin's husband's birthday is tomorrow, I only remember it because it was Woman's birthday also. He had mentioned a couple weeks ago he hadn't had ribs in a while and needed to get some for the wife to toss in the instant pot.  I told him I would make him ribs for his birthday along with smoked baked taters and fried corn and bacon. I was going to need the copperhead as the little cookshack electric wouldn't have worked for this cook as well.

Did some chicken legs last nigh to make sure it would work.

The ribs came out well, he wanted Sweet Baby Rays sauce on his and I put our sauce on the other rack. He ended up liking our sauce better and saying a lot better than in the instant pot. I decided to wrap these, something I very rarely do, but since he was used to instant pit ribs I figured he would want the over cooked to me kind of ribs.

I need to do some work on the smoker I put some probes in to monitor chamber temps and they are about 40° lower than controller temp, a call  to smoke daddy may be in order to see if I can calibrate it. Will do some more temp testing before I do that.

Some pics of todays food and last nights chicken legs. nothing special but still good eats.
  • #2 by urnmor on 07 May 2023
  • Looks like you had a successful cook
  • #3 by Canadian John on 08 May 2023

•  Great looking results, even from a wounded smoker.
  • #4 by pmillen on 08 May 2023
  • A first-class repair effort and subsequent cook.

My ideal home location would have you as my neighbor on the left and Kristen & Bentley on the right.  You'd have to get a restraining order to keep me away.
  • #5 by hughver on 08 May 2023
  • It all looks good to me. The corn looks interesting, what is it?
  • #6 by BigDave83 on 08 May 2023
  • It all looks good to me. The corn looks interesting, what is it?

Bacon, maybe 8-10 slices, cooked to your liking. This was a 2 pound bag of frozen corn. I did microwave it a few  minutes just to get it to cook up quicker, I just pulled the bacon to the side and dumped the corn in the bacon oil and cooked until I got some browning on it a little salt and pepper then mix the crumbled/chopped bacon in and cooked it a little more. I have added onions and even some peppers but they just wanted the corn and bacon.
Pages:
Actions