Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Goodbye Meals  (Read 1065 times)

jdmessner

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Evart, MI
Goodbye Meals
« on: May 12, 2023, 12:41:54 PM »

Getting ready to move in about a month. That means saying goodbye to friends and people I have worked with over the last few years.

It seems like saying goodbye is a bit easier when it's done with food. It started last night when I made dinner for the Lions Club. It consisted of BBQ bacon wrapped turkey breasts, mashed potatoes and creamed corn casserole. They said they liked it!

I just purchased a 20 lb. brisket for a church picnic in a couple of weeks, that should be fun. A friend has been wanting to bake together for a while, so we will make the sandwich buns too. It has been a while since I have baked, I am looking forward to it.

My wife wants the freezer cleaned out before we go. That means there will be other opportunities to share a meal with others ad we head down the road.

[ Invalid Attachment ]
God grant that I may never live to be useless! ― John Wesley

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
Re: Goodbye Meals
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2023, 12:52:46 PM »

My family celebrates everything with food; birthdays, births, anniversaries, holidays...  But a goodbye is sometimes a bit sad.  It's sometimes not quite a celebration.  But you can celebrate another milestone in God's plan for you and your family.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2023, 01:31:53 PM »

If my foggy memory serves me well, it wasn't that long ago you moved to Fife Lake.  Hopefully you new location will be that of great enjoyment.  Happy moving!

jdmessner

• Evart, MI
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2023, 04:33:07 PM »

If my foggy memory serves me well, it wasn't that long ago you moved to Fife Lake.  Hopefully you new location will be that of great enjoyment.  Happy moving!

Your foggy memory is actually quite good! I have only been here three years. I thought it would be longer. Not to get too bogged down in unnecessary details, one of the three churches I serve (and the one who owns the house I am living in) decided to go with a different denomination. That in essence broke up the parish. I am only going about 50 miles southeast of my current location. My wife and I are looking forward to the move. The truck comes at the end of June and I start in the new place on July 1. It looks like it will be a good fit. They heard I was bringing some grills and are planning some sort of a cookout over the Fourth of July. What's not to like?   

Paul, thanks for your comment. There are a lot of mixed emotions, along with people and things about the area we will miss. However, I think overall this should be a very good landing spot.

okie smokie

• Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2023, 05:48:32 PM »

And where are you going?

hughver

• University of Louisiana
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2023, 06:29:59 PM »

Good luck in your future endeavor's. 
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

jdmessner

• Evart, MI
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2023, 10:39:03 AM »

And where are you going?

We are moving to Evart, MI. It is about an hour northeast of Grand Rapids. For those familiar with MAC Schools, it is not too far from Central Michigan University. Go Chips! You could say it is in the middle of nowhere, but from there you can get most anywhere!

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2023, 11:18:48 AM »

Any church that is planning a cook-out to welcome you is my kind of church and sounds like a winner!!  Hope the best for the move and God's blessing in your new church.

jdmessner

• Evart, MI
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2023, 11:39:53 PM »

Any church that is planning a cook-out to welcome you is my kind of church and sounds like a winner!!  Hope the best for the move and God's blessing in your new church.

Thanks! From everything I can tell, this should be a good appointment. However, there is one question I will need to look into. I am not sure if they are planning on cooking for me or if they are planning for me to do the cooking. I guess either way will work!!

jdmessner

• Evart, MI
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2023, 03:48:42 PM »

Technically this was not a goodbye meal. It was more of a "till we meet again meal." There is a group of colleagues that I have met with twice a month over the past three years from fall to spring. This was our last gathering for the year.

Joe (pictured below) brought enchiladas, beans and rice. He used a family recipe that goes back several generations  and originated in Mexico. They were great!

[ Invalid Attachment ]

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2023, 04:22:50 PM »

Technically this was not a goodbye meal. It was more of a "till we meet again meal." There is a group of colleagues that I have met with twice a month over the past three years from fall to spring. This was our last gathering for the year.

Joe (pictured below) brought enchiladas, beans and rice. He used a family recipe that goes back several generations  and originated in Mexico. They were great!

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Did you ask him if he'd share the recipe ?   ;D
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

jdmessner

• Evart, MI
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2023, 05:53:24 PM »

[/quote]
[/quote]

I did not ask, but I will. He did say that he and his wife are getting ready to put a series of cooking videos together for YouTube. They recorded making the enchiladas, but they are waiting until they make a few more videos before posting them.

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2023, 06:09:29 PM »

[/quote]

I did not ask, but I will. He did say that he and his wife are getting ready to put a series of cooking videos together for YouTube. They recorded making the enchiladas, but they are waiting until they make a few more videos before posting them.
[/quote]

When they do, give us the name of their channel so we can help support them and maybe learn something.

jdmessner

• Evart, MI
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2023, 10:09:34 PM »

I will. He did tell me it is an old family recipe but not a secret one, and he will give it to me (once he gets it from his wife)!

jdmessner

• Evart, MI
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2023, 04:52:10 PM »

The goodbye picnic was a big success, a lot of people showed up and it was a good day. The weather was almost perfect at 76 degrees with slightly overcast skies. I brought brisket and pulled pork. It was the first time I smoked a brisket by separating the point from the flat. I really liked doing it that way. Everyone else brought the sides and desserts. It was a fun day, bittersweet, but fun.

There is a full description of the sandwich buns on the bread thread. I do have the recipe for the enchilada sauce, but I do need clarification on a couple of things before I post it.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up