Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by BigDave83 on 14 May 2023
  •  We were about out of BBQ sauce, and since we were doing other things at home today figured would make up a few batches.

The recipe I made up, uses 1.5 cups of ketchup to a batch.

I put everything in a spreadsheet and calculated 4 and 6 batch measures.

Ketchup is sold by weight and not volume, but on the nutrition label it lists serving size as 1 Tablespoon or 17 grams.

We made 6 batches up because some others wanted some. I figured a #10 can would be almost enough for 9, as it showed 190 servings.

My 6 batches took 9 cups with 16 tablespoons to a cup that would be 144 tablespoons. I took my 9 cups out and had maybe another 3/4 cup.

Glad I got the big container because had I gotten smaller the math wouldn't have worked out.

Anyone know where I am looking at this wrong?

• #2 by WiPelletHead on 14 May 2023
  • #3 by Bentley on 14 May 2023
  • Me helping with A math question, that's a good one!
  • #4 by BigDave83 on 14 May 2023
  • This should help you Dave,

https://www.howmany.wiki/vw/--1--cup--of--ketchup--in--ounce

Thanks but that is worse than my figuring. I figured 11.875 cups to 114oz can.

here is what they gave me.

Results
    114 ounces of tomato ketchup equals 14.4 ( ~ 14 1/3) US cups. (*)   

one wouldn't think it would be that difficult, of maybe I am a Dumb _ _ _.
  • #5 by WiPelletHead on 14 May 2023
  • This should help you Dave,

https://www.howmany.wiki/vw/--1--cup--of--ketchup--in--ounce

Thanks but that is worse than my figuring. I figured 11.875 cups to 114oz can.

here is what they gave me.

Results
    114 ounces of tomato ketchup equals 14.4 ( ~ 14 1/3) US cups. (*)   

one wouldn't think it would be that difficult, of maybe I am a Dumb _ _ _.
    Well Dave, IF I did it right 114 oz = 13.8 cups. I could be wrong but pretty sure this is correct.
  • #6 by pmillen on 14 May 2023
  • My math–

A #10 can usually contains about 110 fluid ounces.  You used 72 fluid ounces for your recipe.

You should have had 38 fluid ounces leftover (4¾ cups).  You had considerably less than that.

IDK how this happened.  I suspect that the can was less volume but proper weight because the catsup was thicker.
  • #7 by Canadian John on 15 May 2023
  •  
      VOLUME CALCULATION--- I often measure container volumes as I have encountered surprises along the way.

How?  Tare out the container (gram scale) in question. Fill with water noting the weight in grams.  Water weighs 1 gram per ml.

1 ml = .033814 fluid oz.     100 ml = 3.38 fl oz.       500 ml = 16.9 fl oz etc.

• #8 by Canadian John on 15 May 2023

•  Adding to the above:  I found that some container stated volumes to be over rated to the point of being not practical.   Most interesting is measuring cups.  We have several brand name coups that are notably

off! What a surprise.

Measuring spoons is an other matter. Use the water check method by placing the measuring spoon water in a container on the scale.
  • #9 by 02ebz06 on 15 May 2023
  • Back on the how many cups is 114 ounces.

The right answer is 14.25 cups.

114oz divided 8oz per cup  = 14.25

Best way to deal with this stuff is convert everything to grams and go by weight.
    Most scales can do that for you.
    Volume measurements are inaccurate.
  • #10 by urnmor on 15 May 2023
  • Like others I would be of no help however I could ask my six year old grandson.  They keep challenging him in math.  The teachers get very frustrated with him because even though he gets the correct answe he fails to show his work on paper.  He says there is no need to as it is in his head.   :)
  • #11 by Canadian John on 15 May 2023
  • Like others I would be of no help however I could ask my six year old grandson.  They keep challenging him in math.  The teachers get very frustrated with him because even though he gets the correct answe he fails to show his work on paper.  He says there is no need to as it is in his head.   :)
      I realize we are getting off topic here.  However, my granddaughter's math mind is very advanced. It's all in her mind as well.  We always do challenging math when we visit. Algebra, percentages & geometry

when her fellow classmates are learning addition & subtraction.

• #12 by jdmessner on 15 May 2023
  • I would never be able to do this particular equation. When I was in school I was so far behind in my math skills, I could not KATCHUP!
  • #13 by BigDave83 on 15 May 2023
  • Yes 114 oz volume is 14.25 cups

Ketchup is sold by weight. so 114 oz net weight.

here is the label off the back, showing serving size as 1 tablespoon or 17 grams. I guess I should weigh out a tablespoon of it to see is it is actually 17 gr.

anyways there are 190 servings or tablespoons. so 190/16 is 11.875 cups. I got maybe 9.750 out of it.

It really doesn't matter except when you want to make a recipe and it calls for volume measure and you are trying to figure out do I have enough to make what I want with out having to go to the store.

My pea brain says okay I know this container has this much weight in it and has this many volume servings each weighing XX amount, seems easy to calculate.

Thanks anyways guys and I hope you got a good laugh out of my ketchup math dilemma.

I have always been pretty good with math, and a little science, forget history and physical fitness no good at either of them.

Math as taught in schools today, it is no wonder kids fail. I tried to help the GF's niece with her math and I could look at it and tell her the answer is XX.XX, but trying to get to the answer the way her teacher wanted her to get to it and show work, was quite frustrating.  I even, on some of the problems, said here is how I would do this and we showed the work the teacher gave her a failing grade because it was  not done the way she wanted it done even though the answer was correct.

• #14 by pmillen on 15 May 2023
  • Ketchup is sold by weight. so 114 oz net weight.

There are two kinds of ounce measurements, fluid ounces (volume) and weight (avoirdupois).  The only time they are equal is when considering distilled water.  One fluid ounce of distilled water weighs one ounce.

We all know that oil is lighter that water.  So one fluid ounce of water is heavier than one fluid ounce of oil.

Anyway, 114 fluid ounces ounces of catsup doesn't weigh 144 ounces (7+ pounds).

But I don't see the need to discuss weight at all when discussing this recipe.  You used 9 cups from a 13¾-cup can.  You should have had 4¾ cups remaining.  The probable reason that you had less than that was because the can wasn't full.  Since catsup is sold by weight it probably had the correct weight of catsup but not the expected volume.

EDIT:  I found that the specific gravity of catsup is 1.4, so catsup weighs 1.4 times an equal volume of water.
  • #15 by BigDave83 on 15 May 2023
  • Ketchup is sold by weight. so 114 oz net weight.

There are two kinds of ounce measurements, fluid ounces (volume) and weight (avoirdupois).  The only time they are equal is when considering distilled water.  One fluid ounce of distilled water weighs one ounce.

We all know that oil is lighter that water.  So one fluid ounce of water is heavier than one fluid ounce of oil.

Anyway, 114 fluid ounces ounces of catsup doesn't weigh 144 ounces (7+ pounds).

But I don't see the need to discuss weight at all when discussing this recipe.  You used 9 cups from a 13¾-cup can.  You should have had 4¾ cups remaining.  The probable reason that you had less than that was because the can wasn't full.  Since catsup is sold by weight it probably had the correct weight of catsup but not the expected volume.

EDIT:  I found that the specific gravity of catsup is 1.4, so catsup weighs 1.4 times an equal volume of water.

Sir you are the scientist of the lot here. Thank you.
Pages:
Actions