Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by captaink on 10 Sep 2019
  • I know over the years there have been several threads about these....especially in the old forum.  Now that a few years have past since they were all the rage, I was interested to get a new discussion going on what people have discovered over those years.  I have  the adjustable Hurds one in a Blazn Grand Slam.  I have ran a million temp tests and to be totally honest sometimes it seem to even my temp out more and other times not so much.  I think in that small grill the difference is negligible.  I also have a shelf kit.  2nd an 3rd shelf run identical and bottom grate about 8 - 10 degrees hotter.  Pretty standard.  Doesn't seem to matter with door open or closed.  I can't report on pellet consumption.  It did seem to allow me to hit lower temps better when doing snack sticks and jerky.  I rarely cook anything over 275.   With the shelf kit I had to modify the right shelf bracket and took a little too much off so my shelves are a little sloppy.  I'm actually considering fixing that but can't decide if I do that if I even want to keep the downdraft.  Part of me wants to just keep it because of what it's supposed to do and maybe I'm just so used to it I'm a little afraid of taking it out.  I know that smoker really well over the years with the hood in.
    Anyway sorry for the long post just curious how others are getting along with theirs in any brand of cooker.
  • #2 by Bentley on 26 Apr 2020
  • I know when we did a Product Review of the Hurd, it did reduce pellet consumption and evened heat across the surface of grill.  More smoke flavor?  Just to subjective a question for me to answer with any accuracy!
  • #3 by Canadian John on 27 Apr 2020

•  You could make a list to compare all the pros and cons. Disregard the cost and labour of the D D. If it's a balanced list, consider maintenance. Does the down draft load up with the typical greasy soot, and how

hard is it to clean. YOU must feel good about the end result as cooking is a personal thing. So in pride of ownership. There is no right or wrong.  Not much help - just an opinion.. Long posts are good by me.
  • #4 by rfdong on 03 May 2020
  • I have the Don Godke on my Rec Tec, just took it off because8:found it keeps the grill from reaching higher temps. I normally cook at lower temps which have been fine but recently started making pizzas and couldn’t get the grill to temp.  Took it off and the grill gets to high temp again.  I think it did add some smoke but not a game changer, but I did think it evened out temps at lower temperatures.
  • #5 by okie smokie on 04 May 2020
  • I had the Godke on my Blaz'n, but was not impressed with the smoke effect. It went with the grill when I sold it.
  • #6 by MP09 on 04 May 2020
  • A buddy gave me his to try. After several cooks, i gave it back. That pretty much sums it up.
Pages:
Actions