Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by hughver on 20 May 2023
  • A number of years ago I had an very good appetizer consisting of shrimp, mushrooms, garlic and butter.at a Mexican restaurant in Bothel WA. I've tried several times to duplicate it to no avail. I think that it may be called "CAMARONES AL MOJO DE AJO". Does anyone have a proven recipe for this dish? Thanks for the help.
  • #2 by urnmor on 20 May 2023
  • I looked on line and saw one by food and wine.  It looks easy to make however I have given up shrimp due to gout.
  • #3 by hughver on 21 May 2023
  • Thanks Urnmor, there are quite a few recipes for it if you Google. I do not remember that the version that I had in WA had onions in it. I mostly remember that there was a to die for sauce, mushrooms, lots of garlic and butter. If my health holds out, I'm going to fly back to WA in August. I'll make it a point to visit that restaurant and see if they will share their recipe. In the meantime, I'm going to give it another try tonight using different spices and sous vide shrimp.
  • #4 by 02ebz06 on 21 May 2023
  • I've never heard of it or had it, but I googled it as well, and several of the common recipe sites have it.
    You'll have to look at them and see if any come close to what you are looking for.

EDIT: Haha, you posted right before I clicked the post button.
  • #5 by urnmor on 21 May 2023
  • IMO it is very similar to shrimp scampi
  • #6 by hughver on 22 May 2023
  •  Results: Last night's version was not quite the same as I had in WA, but was very good, my wife even liked it which is rare. I served it over jasmine rice prepared with butter and shrimp broth made from simmering the shrimp shells for a couple of hours. I did not follow any specific recipe but took some parts of many versions.
  • #7 by urnmor on 22 May 2023
  • Results: Last night's version was not quite the same as I had in WA, but was very good, my wife even liked it which is rare. I served it over jasmine rice prepared with butter and shrimp broth made from simmering the shrimp shells for a couple of hours. I did not follow any specific recipe but took some parts of many versions.

Sometimes that is the best way taking idas from different versions.  And if you notice most chefs add their unique touch to a recipe I order to make their own.

I am sure yours was delicious however i no longer can eat shrimp as it gives me gout
  • #8 by MikeMcQ on 29 May 2023
  • Late to the party but what the heck. But eating Camerones al Mojo de Aho for a couple of decades various Mex restaurants and have come up with a version we like at home. I have had it at a couple of places with sliced onions and one even with onions and bell peppers, not our faves.

My research led me to the following:

Peeled deveined tail on shrimps (about a half pound for the 2 of us)
    Pile of thickish sliced mushrooms (thicker than using an egg slicer)
    4 or 5 goodly sized garlic gloves chopped
    about same amount fine minced onion
    1/2 lime
    butter about 1/4 cup total (I use salted)
    EVOO
    sea salt, ground pepper, Mexican oregano, ground cumin, ground chipotle (if don't want the chipotle touch of heat, used smoked paprika instead)

In large high sided skillet about 1Tbls EVOO 2 Tbls butter on low, add 3/4 of the garlic rest reserved for later. Key here is garlic on low for depth of flavor, about a half hour to golden. Add the minced onions as garlic just coming golden.

Turn up to med - low add a couple Tbls butter and add mushrooms. Season with a bit of salt and pepper on the shrooms. Toss shrooms occasionally. When shrooms almost done sprinkle with a small amount of Mexican oregano and cumin, final toss and push to the side making room for shrimps. In the open well add a couple more Tbls butter and the remaining garlic. Place shimps in a single layer, lightly salt and pepper and dust with Chipotle. They will be turned only once! When shrimp are mostly orange up the sides but still translucent on top turn them over. Squeeze the lime juice over them, turn off heat. Let finish cooking a minute or so and serve.

Plate the shrimps and their garlic then final toss the shrooms and spread on top. We serve them in ceramic boat thingy. Very very to close to our favorite restaurant version.
     [ Invalid Attachment ]
     [ Invalid Attachment ]
     [ Invalid Attachment ]
     [ Invalid Attachment ]
     [ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #9 by Bentley on 29 May 2023
  • Shrimp n garlic sounds wonderful, shrimp with mushrooms does not appeal to me for some reason.  Love both, do not think it is a combination that would work for my palate!
  • #10 by 02ebz06 on 29 May 2023
  • Looks great Mike! 
  • #11 by hughver on 07 Jun 2023
  • I missed this response but I will give this version a try. Thanks for posting.
Pages:
Actions