Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by urnmor on 23 May 2023
  • Cooked a pork butt low and slow and I do mean slow.  About 16 hours between 235 and 250 degrees.  Nice smoke ring
  • #2 by Canadian John on 24 May 2023

•  I always cooked butts @ 225º.  That was always a long cook. Good results butt (pun)long.

Lately I have reduced the time by cooking @ 275º. It works out to 1 hour/ pound with the same results. 

For far less mess, the butt is placed on a rack in a pan almost eliminating pit clean up.
  • #3 by Bentley on 24 May 2023
  • Did you like your bark?
  • #4 by Bar-B-Lew on 24 May 2023

•  I always cooked butts @ 225º.  That was always a long cook. Good results butt (pun)long.

Lately I have reduced the time by cooking @ 275º. It works out to 1 hour/ pound with the same results. 

For far less mess, the butt is placed on a rack in a pan almost eliminating pit clean up.

That has become my method too.  More recently, after it hits the stall, I have been placing liquid in the pan and covering until the bone falls out.  It has cut down more time for me and cleanup as you mentioned.  It is also already in the pan with the liquid to be pulled immediately after coming off the smoker.
  • #5 by hughver on 24 May 2023
  • That has become my method too.  More recently, after it hits the stall, I have been placing liquid in the pan and covering until the bone falls out.  It has cut down more time for me and cleanup as you mentioned.  It is also already in the pan with the liquid to be pulled immediately after coming off the smoker.

This is also the method that I use, except I start at 160° and work my way up to 225°, changing temp. every hour or so by 20°. I finish either in the oven or pit at 300°. Additionally, I drain the juice from the pan into a large glass measuring cup, place it into the freezer and remove excess grease before pulling. I warm the juice back up in the microwave and add it back to the pulled meat to obtain optimal moisture content.
  • #6 by 02ebz06 on 24 May 2023
  • I'm in the 275 camp as well.
Pages:
Actions