Here's How I.... > Cook Pork

Canadian style bacon.

(1/3) > >>

BigDave83:
 The other week a local store had whole boneless pork loins for $0.99 a pound, I picked up a few and turned some in to jerky, decided Canadian style bacon would be good.

Since winter is over I talked to my plow guy and he said he only plowed twice, he gave me the option of paying cash or making him some meats, so I did him 2 racks of back ribs and turned a butt in to pulled pork, we had to make BBQ sauce so I gave him a jar of it also. Asked him if he liked Canadian bacon and he said now I am hungry. I said be 2-3 weeks till I get that to you.

Cured it for about 15 days. Weighed each piece and made up the cure mix for it and then vac sealed.

0.20% Cure 1
 2.0% salt
 1.0% sugar, just used white because my brown was not cooperating. I did leave the sugar out of 1 piece to see which way I like it better.

In the past I used Tenderquick. 1 Tablespoon of it and 1 Tablespoon dark brown sugar to a pound. So this was a new recipe for me.

After the 15 days I rinsed them well and put on a sheet pan with a rack and in the fridge over night. Used the tray smoker with hickory dust and and some cherry chips and pellets. After 3 hours I turned the smoker on to 200° for an hour then bumped the temp to 235° to finish. Pulled them at 137° and left sit about 30 minutes before plastic wrapping then cooled a while and back in  the fridge, will slice and package over the weekend.

I did try a small piece of the sugar and a small one with out, not really sure which I prefer just yet, but will figure it out.

Will post pics of sliced and packed when I get that part done.

First pic is just in smoker, second is after the 3 hours of cold smoke, then finished pictures.

02ebz06:
Lookin' good.
Definitely different than my recipe.  I do a brine for 6 days.

Bentley:
And you will use this how?

BigDave83:

--- Quote from: Bentley on May 26, 2023, 09:14:44 PM ---And you will use this how?

--- End quote ---

Breakfast just browned some, or in an egg mcmuffin type sandwich. chopped goes nice on pizza. I sometimes just eat it.

hughver:
Did I read this correctly, you cured them vacuum sealed? Whatever you did, they look great. I hope they taste as good as they look.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version
Mobile View