Here's How I.... > Cook Pork

Canadian style bacon.

<< < (3/3)

hughver:
Thanks for the details. Your post has inspired me to give this a try. When I've done it before I always used a wet cure mixture and only cured for a few days (cannot remember how many). I'm a very impatient person, I wonder if your dry method would work in a shorter time, it sounds easier.

BigDave83:

--- Quote from: hughver on May 28, 2023, 11:54:08 AM ---Thanks for the details. Your post has inspired me to give this a try. When I've done it before I always used a wet cure mixture and only cured for a few days (cannot remember how many). I'm a very impatient person, I wonder if your dry method would work in a shorter time, it sounds easier.

--- End quote ---

I have done it in 10 days and have seen some do it it in 7, if you really want to shorten the time use tenderloins since they are smaller they will cure faster.

If I remember the cure penetrates 1/4" a day so I guess one could figure out  how thick your piece is and then multiple by 2 ,as it would penetrate top and bottom 1/4" a day. I would add a day to that number you end up with.

hughver:
Thanks

BigDave83:
 Only picture I got of the sliced stuff, the GF was helping and as I sliced we bagged and she was sealing them they are in the back fridge now, we put 12 slices in each pack, sliced on the 6 setting on the Berkel not sure what that is actually maybe 3/16" these are of the nicely trimmed and lean pieces, some have more fat through out.

As it has been a few years since making any, i don't remember it being this moist. Had a nice flavor and just trying a little as I sliced I really can't tell much difference between the sugar and no sugar one. The GF couldn't taste the difference at all and I was surprised she liked it, I am sure that will change in the future.

I will update with better pictures when I open a pack of it.

Bentley:
All I see is Eggs Benedict,...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version
Mobile View