Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Bentley on 08 Jun 2023
  • I have not paid much attention to it over the last few days, but was sitting in the Spa this morning looking West to Old House Vineyard's.  There is a silo on their property that is about 3200 feet away, you could see it in the haze.  But not much more.  Less then a mile ground visibility is pretty bad. 

Anyone else effected?
  • #2 by Bar-B-Lew on 08 Jun 2023
  • The Lehigh Valley had the worst air quality score in the nation yesterday.  I got a message on my Google hub that at one point it was 416 in the hazardous rating level.  Everything had an orangish yellow hue to it yesterday.  It felt apocalyptic.  It is a little better today, but supposed to be bad again later tonight.

I hope it pushes out to sea soon as I was planning to go to NYC on Saturday.

It also seems like its been over a month since we had any material amount of rain.  I read it was the lowest amount since they started keep records for the month of May.
  • #3 by 02ebz06 on 08 Jun 2023
  • Nothing out west here.
  • #4 by Bentley on 08 Jun 2023
  • Been watering landscaping and lawn every day for over a week straight!  We need rain bad, the soybeans are dying in the field!
  • #5 by atlasx2001 on 08 Jun 2023
  • Yeah...Philadelphia area is pretty bad.   Its starting to clear up compared to yesterday.
  • #6 by Bar-B-Lew on 08 Jun 2023
  • I found this picture of Yankee Stadium online yesterday.  This is what I meant by an orangish yellow hue.  It was lighter than that here.  Felt like you were looking through those yellow lens glasses for night vision.

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #7 by urnmor on 08 Jun 2023
  • We have it here on the Eastern shore of Md however it looks like we might get a thunderstorm if so that should help clear some of it out.  It reminds me of the volcano ash we got from a number of years back.
  • #8 by jdmessner on 09 Jun 2023
  • In Northern Lower Michigan, we have not been impacted too much by the Canadian fires. There have been a few days that were a bit hazy and some people attributed it to those fires.

However, over the past two weekends there have been forest fires caused by unattended campfires on private property. The larger of the two burned approximately 2,500 acers. In the scope of what is going on elsewhere it isn't a lot, but it is if it is in your backyard. There were several roads closed for about 12 hours due to poor visibility. They were able to contain the fires fairly quickly. To fight the fires they used a helicopter that dipped a 320 gallon bucket into the lake to scoop up water and drop it on the fire. I was out of town when it happened, but I did hear about it from several people. It was the first I had heard about this technique for firefighting.

It is still very dry and I hope there is rain before the 4th of July. If ever there was a year to ban fireworks, this would be it. My thoughts and prayers are with all who are battling fires.

https://www.wzzm13.com/article/news/local/michigan/helicopter-video-shows-how-crews-are-suppressing-fire-from-the-sky/69-59f1d29e-f992-429c-9323-03cb501c8143
  • #9 by Bentley on 09 Jun 2023
  • They have used that type of firefighting in So Cal for awhile.  Have seen them use pools to fill up with!
Pages:
Actions