Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: lox/gravlox  (Read 3616 times)

Bobitis

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Contrary to popular belief, bacon is a vegetable
lox/gravlox
« on: August 25, 2017, 07:50:06 PM »

This could be put in many areas here, so I chose seafood.

Get a nice salmon fillet (2 is better). Rinse well, and if you have the patience of Job, remove all the bones and pin bones. This is a tedious step. Rinse again and pat dry. Cut the fish in 4-6 inch chunks. The tail of the fish has fewer bones and tastes better imo.

Place a sheet of plastic wrap on a cutting board and put 1 pc of fish skin side down on it. Apply a generous amount of kosher or sea salt to the flesh.
Repeat with another similar sized pc of fish. When finished, add fresh or dried dill to the surface. Dried can be over kill if yer not careful. A bit under dilled is safer than too much.

Place the fish meat to meat (so the skin is on the outside), and wrap tightly. Do this until all yer fish is wrapped up.

Place the tightly wrapped packages in a pan/bowl and weight them down. Put in the fridge for 2 days, flipping them every 12 hrs or so.
At the end of 2 days, remove the fish and rinse well under cold water. Pat dry and place back in the fridge for 2-3 hrs.
The fish will look raw, but it's actually cooked due to the brining process.

At this time you can slice and eat, or take it to the smoker. If so, smoke it as cold as you can get yer pit to work. If yer pit can't get that low, put the fish in a pan filled with ice. Again, remove to the fridge for cooling.

Add the thinly sliced fish to a cream cheese covered bagel and top it off with a few capers.

Sorry, but I don't have any 'measurements' to include as it's all subjective.

The son's gf is a loxaholic and she says it's the best she's ever tasted. YMMV...
How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
Re: lox/gravlox
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 08:53:00 PM »

Lets see if I get this right...your preferred species, no I guess the salmon is the species, salmon dont have varieties like a rose...what word am I trying to find... for the lox?

And there are 3 different types...I know there is Gravlox/Lox, I do not think it is cooked or smoked just cured, Nova, which I think is cured and Cold Smoked and then just smoked salmon?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 08:57:30 PM by Bentley »
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Bobitis

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 10:19:45 PM »

Lets see if I get this right...your preferred species, no I guess the salmon is the species, salmon dont have varieties like a rose...what word am I trying to find... for the lox?

And there are 3 different types...I know there is Gravlox/Lox, I do not think it is cooked or smoked just cured, Nova, which I think is cured and Cold Smoked and then just smoked salmon?

Salmon don't have varieties? ::)

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 10:59:32 PM »

But is a King and Coho and Silverhead the same species?  That is what I meant, what kind of Salmon do you use?

Bobitis

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2017, 02:52:33 PM »

But is a King and Coho and Silverhead the same species?  That is what I meant, what kind of Salmon do you use?

They're all salmon but have differing qualities. Kings (Chinook) have a very deep red meat. Silvers (Coho) are less bright. Sockeye has a unique color and distinct taste.  Chum (dog salmon) is the least sought after, but makes the best smoked salmon. It's very fatty as opposed to the leaner others.

I'll gladly cook any of them in many ways. 

As for lox... the chum would be out. As would the sockeye because it's so different and has a similar taste as lox.  You could do it, but I'm not sure that the results would be worth the effort.

You'd have to try all of them in various cooks to get where I'm coming from.  It's very complicated.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2017, 02:59:35 PM »

So I learned that Coho and Silver are same thing, which I did not know...but I still have not been able to determine if you have a favorite for lox...

Bobitis

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2017, 03:16:54 PM »

So I learned that Coho and Silver are same thing, which I did not know...but I still have not been able to determine if you have a favorite for lox...

My choices would be Chinook or Coho. Both would do well due to the process involved. They are less fatty and more firm.

I can't speak for the Atlantic salmon, but around here they are hated for what appears to be good reason. That's another topic.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2017, 03:19:56 PM »

Ohh, so a little West Coast Bias...Ok then.  But there are Sockeye, and Coho and King in the Atlantic right.  I am dead serious I do not know this stuff!

Bobitis

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2017, 03:39:22 PM »

Ohh, so a little West Coast Bias...Ok then.  But there are Sockeye, and Coho and King in the Atlantic right.  I am dead serious I do not know this stuff!

I can find no support of anything that claims anything other than Atlantic salmon. It appears to be a fish of its own. I can't find any other variant of the fish.

A bit of 'west coast' bias? YES! We have idiots here that seem to think that raising the east coast fish here is a good thing. All those east coast fish are bringing diseases and threatening the fish on the west coast.

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2017, 03:52:59 PM »

When I lived in North Dakota I often fished Lake Sakakawea.  It was stocked with Cohos.  They were usually down rather deep, feeding on the baitfish that were feeding on the algae. 
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2017, 03:53:40 PM »

I would be against this practice also if it is going to endanger the population...

GREG-B

• Washougal WA
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2017, 06:11:23 PM »

On the west coast, if you see Atlantic salmon it's almost always farm raised and tinted with food coloring to make it look more like Pacific salmon.   It feels somewhat mushy in the packaging.
If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy.

riverrat49

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • "If all else Fails call it Burnt Endz" Spokane, WA
    • G-Pa D's BBQ Team
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2017, 08:27:06 PM »

What did you think of the release of 300,000 Atlantic Salmon off of our coast? I'm hoping our Native American friends get these floating fish pens shut down.

On the west coast, if you see Atlantic salmon it's almost always farm raised and tinted with food coloring to make it look more like Pacific salmon.   It feels somewhat mushy in the packaging.
World Food Championship Culinary Team- 2016, 2017, 2018 Taste of America Challenge Champion- 2016/2018 World Food Championship Judge Competition Pitmaster/ Certified BBQ Judge

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2017, 08:30:06 PM »

Now I will have to look more closely at the Costco salmon when we go in there next week for the Rib Roast.  I know I have seen the Titles Farm Raised and Atlantic, but I think there are 1 or 2 more. I wonder if they even carry and West Coast Salmon back here?

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2017, 09:24:04 PM »

I think all I can get in any grocery store is farm raised and I can usually see signs of color painted on.  I buy it anyway.  We have one seafood store but I don't buy salmon there.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up