Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Boneless Chuck Short Ribs  (Read 701 times)

hughver

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • University of Louisiana
Boneless Chuck Short Ribs
« on: June 14, 2023, 08:36:16 PM »

I went to Costco Business yesterday and picked up 11+lbs. of USDA Choice boneless chuck short ribs. I would like to cook them on my Traeger. Any advice on a process? My guess would be to smoke at 160° for a few hours then sous vide at 135° till tender. One on-line recipe bakes them @ 300° tightly covered for 3 hours then another 30 minutes uncovered.

Update: after a little more research, I've decided to cook them the same way that I smoke chuck roast. i.e., smoke at low temp (160-180°). to an IT of ~160° then place into a covered foil pan, raise the pit temp to 250° and cook to an IT of 210°.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2023, 01:17:45 PM by hughver »
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

hughver

Re: Boneless Chuck Short Ribs
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2023, 05:08:49 PM »

I used the Instant Pop for the last batch and they did not turn out very well, since these are from the chuck, I decided to use Paul's pot roast recipe this time. I thawed, dried, and lightly coated with Worcestershire sauce and applied seasoning. Pit is set to 160° to get lots of smoke, but I'm not sure how that is going to work because it's 104° outside now heading for 110° before cook is done. Time will tell.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2023, 06:00:57 PM »

I have a tough time finding beef ribs other then ones that look like someone chewed 90% of the meat off of them.
Even at Costco, I asked the butcher and he said that was all they had.
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

Hank D Thoreau

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Civil but disobedient
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2023, 09:49:53 PM »

I was going to suggest cooking them like a chuck roast. I think that I could use my "Best Shredded Beef Chuck So Far" approach since I make decisions on wrapping and holding based on actual internal temperature. It takes me from 8 to 9 hours to do a chuck roast on my Daniel Boone.

https://pelletfan.com/index.php?topic=4893.0

urnmor

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2023, 07:50:32 AM »

I have done beef ribs only once it that was along time back.  For me they never were as good spareribs, however based on yours i just might try them again

hughver

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2023, 12:05:21 PM »

Hank, I took them to 210°, but did not hold for an hour. It was late when I got done so I also did not shred them last night. They seemed tender but did not fall apart when transferred to a storage dish. I'll re warm today and try to shred and add back some of the juice which I removed the fat from.

Hank D Thoreau

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Civil but disobedient
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2023, 03:39:22 PM »

Hank, I took them to 210°, but did not hold for an hour. It was late when I got done so I also did not shred them last night. They seemed tender but did not fall apart when transferred to a storage dish. I'll re warm today and try to shred and add back some of the juice which I removed the fat from.

It sounds like they cooked similar to a chuck roast. From my experience, the hold is really the key to getting nice tender fall apart beef chuck.

hughver

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2023, 07:00:29 PM »

I'll remember that next time.

hughver

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2023, 04:47:48 PM »

Next time has arrived. I decided to do Pepper Stout Beef with the 5 lb. roast that I bought a couple of days ago. Since my Boneless Short Ribs came out so well when I cooked them further for 1 hour at 210°, I used Paul's pot roast recipe for the beef and otherwise followed the PSB recipe. The roast was too big for my foil pans, so I cut it in half and used two pans and two of everything else in the recipe. After shredding, I combined both pans for the evaporation phase.
  No pictures but believe me, the end result was spectacular.

We are at 1200' elevation here so 210° not easy to reach I settled for209° for 3.5 hours, but worked like a charm. I also used two supplemental smoke generators for the smoke phase. Smoked for 3+hours with pit set to150°, actual surface temp. was 205 to 220°. IT was 146 when removed from grill.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2023, 05:51:08 PM by hughver »

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2023, 05:11:26 PM »

Pepper Stout Beef is good.   :lick:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

hughver

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2023, 05:41:47 PM »

I'll never fix a pot roast any other way.

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2023, 05:47:50 PM »

For some reason don't do much beef other that steak or brisket.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2023, 06:11:01 PM »

I think I would rather have pulled beef from a chuck roast than brisket slices.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

hughver

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2023, 06:23:35 PM »

I think I would rather have pulled beef from a chuck roast than brisket slices.

Ditto.
Pages: [1]   Go Up