Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: ThermoWorks Smoke X4  (Read 838 times)

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
ThermoWorks Smoke X4
« on: June 26, 2023, 04:06:21 PM »

This will be on going.  Never quite sure how to Review something like this, so I will just used it.  As I use it I will post some pictures and comments.  If you all have question or there are features you want to see you will let me know!  You can see the range, not sure why a Bluetooth product would ever need that range!

"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
Re: ThermoWorks Smoke X4
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2023, 04:09:42 PM »

I thought these were the probes.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2023, 04:10:55 PM »

It appears they are in addition to the 4 that come with the unit!  Sweet.  Will have to ask what the difference is.  I guess the Silicon?

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2023, 04:12:09 PM »

Somebody finally clued in with the magnets already on the unit!  A VERY nice feature for a user like me!

« Last Edit: June 26, 2023, 05:15:30 PM by Bentley »

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2023, 04:31:59 PM »

A range(distance) test would be interesting.

The just use it approach is a good one.

Accuracy- ice bath test would also be of interest.

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2023, 04:57:46 PM »

I purchased some of the silicone ones.  I like that they are easier to manage when storing and they are waterproof.
Downside is the top end of the probe is a lot fatter.  Had to make the hole bigger in the side of my CampChef smoker to acomodate it.
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2023, 05:16:21 PM »

Thank you for the suggestions, very much appreciated!

Brushpopper

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • "The road goes on forever...
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2023, 08:21:51 AM »

I'm curious about the additional probes as well.  The four that came with my Smoke are great.  The meat probe for my Pitts and Spitts went out so I just use the Smoke and keep the remote where I can hear the alarm.  I need to go read the thread on probes again so I can find an alternative. 
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; I had these:
 Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850, 22" Blackstone, Broil King Keg 4000

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2023, 10:41:47 AM »

The magnet on the side of the receiver is a good idea.
When I got my Smokes, I made some wood bases for them, as I wasn't about to put a string in it and hang it around my neck.  They work great.
Maybe a year later I noticed that they sell plastic bases for them.

Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2023, 11:29:40 AM »

Just got this email today!  You bet your you know what I believe in Quid Pro Quo!

If you do buy, and you go through this link to do it, the site gets a cut!  PelletFan Portal for Thermoworks.

Thermoworks Red, White, and Blue product sale.

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2023, 02:57:20 PM »

The magnet on the side of the receiver is a good idea.
When I got my Smokes, I made some wood bases for them, as I wasn't about to put a string in it and hang it around my neck.  They work great.
Maybe a year later I noticed that they sell plastic bases for them.
These receiver stands are great. https://www.thermoworks.com/search.php?search_query=smoke%20receiver%20stand

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2023, 03:07:06 PM »

This is what I made.

Hank D Thoreau

• Civil but disobedient
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2023, 09:32:55 PM »

It looks like the box comes with the standard pro probes. The extra you got are the waterproof needle probes that are good for sous vide.

I have been testing the needle probes for a few years now and had planned on doing a review, something more than a first impression.

I went to the needed probes because they are much easier to poke into the meat and place them where you want them.

Other than ease in puncturing, the main difference is that they have a lower maximum temperature limit (500 deg for handle and cable compared to 700 deg for the High Temp Cooking Probe). This has not been a problem with the type of cooking I use them for.

The silicon insolated cable is holding up really well. I have seen no wear.

I had a set of probe failures with my original high temperature probes which I attributed to a batch issue. Thermoworks replace them and I have had no other issues. I have not had any failures among the needle probes that I use.

I recently checked the calibration of all my probes, and they are still hitting boiling temperature correctly. I have quite a few of both types including several of their Q-Series probes.

One piece of advice that tech services gave me was to try to keep water out of the probe/cable interface as much as possible and to hang the probes to dry before putting them away. I am guessing that this is less of an issue with waterproof needle version than the high temperature and ambient probes.

My conclusion after using both for at least a few years each is that I would continue to buy and use the needle probes. Pocking through some meats, especially skin, with the high temperature probes can be difficult. The high temperature probe is probably a good choice for high temperature grilling in your Egg.

Hank D Thoreau

• Civil but disobedient
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2023, 09:40:15 PM »

I think a key issue is the communication range. The website says it uses 915Mhz radio frequency.

It looks like a repackaged Signals with a radio interface. The original Smoke has only two probes which is a reason that I did not go that route. I want at least four probes in my main cooking unit, which the Smoke X4 has.

I generally run two ambient probes and two in the meat so I can measure the hot and cold side of the grill.

On occasion I have to leave for a while during a long cook. A key test is how far you can go without losing contact and/or control, and how well it reconnects after going out of range.

I have had some problems with my Daniel Boone where I cannot get reconnected if I leave and the connection is lost. I often swap phones with my wife if I am only leaving for short time to avoid the problem.

As far as I can tell, it is not an issue with my Thermoworks Signals (and if it was, I could power cycle it without causing harm to my cook).

Communications is the discriminating factor with the Smoke unit. I would imagine that most of the other features are solid Thermoworks quality since it probably shares the same temperature measuring technology.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2023, 09:45:55 PM by Hank D Thoreau »

hughver

• University of Louisiana
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2023, 12:16:42 PM »

I have the signal and am very satisfied with its performance. The needle probes also work better with thin products.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up