Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by hughver on 14 Jun 2023
  • I went to Costco Business yesterday and picked up 11+lbs. of USDA Choice boneless chuck short ribs. I would like to cook them on my Traeger. Any advice on a process? My guess would be to smoke at 160° for a few hours then sous vide at 135° till tender. One on-line recipe bakes them @ 300° tightly covered for 3 hours then another 30 minutes uncovered.

Update: after a little more research, I've decided to cook them the same way that I smoke chuck roast. i.e., smoke at low temp (160-180°). to an IT of ~160° then place into a covered foil pan, raise the pit temp to 250° and cook to an IT of 210°.
  • #2 by hughver on 27 Jun 2023
  • I used the Instant Pop for the last batch and they did not turn out very well, since these are from the chuck, I decided to use Paul's pot roast recipe this time. I thawed, dried, and lightly coated with Worcestershire sauce and applied seasoning. Pit is set to 160° to get lots of smoke, but I'm not sure how that is going to work because it's 104° outside now heading for 110° before cook is done. Time will tell.
  • #3 by 02ebz06 on 27 Jun 2023
  • I have a tough time finding beef ribs other then ones that look like someone chewed 90% of the meat off of them.
    Even at Costco, I asked the butcher and he said that was all they had.
  • #4 by Hank D Thoreau on 27 Jun 2023
  • I was going to suggest cooking them like a chuck roast. I think that I could use my "Best Shredded Beef Chuck So Far" approach since I make decisions on wrapping and holding based on actual internal temperature. It takes me from 8 to 9 hours to do a chuck roast on my Daniel Boone.

https://pelletfan.com/index.php?topic=4893.0
  • #5 by urnmor on 28 Jun 2023
  • I have done beef ribs only once it that was along time back.  For me they never were as good spareribs, however based on yours i just might try them again
  • #6 by hughver on 28 Jun 2023
  • https://pelletfan.com/index.php?topic=4893.0

Hank, I took them to 210°, but did not hold for an hour. It was late when I got done so I also did not shred them last night. They seemed tender but did not fall apart when transferred to a storage dish. I'll re warm today and try to shred and add back some of the juice which I removed the fat from.
  • #7 by Hank D Thoreau on 28 Jun 2023
  • https://pelletfan.com/index.php?topic=4893.0

Hank, I took them to 210°, but did not hold for an hour. It was late when I got done so I also did not shred them last night. They seemed tender but did not fall apart when transferred to a storage dish. I'll re warm today and try to shred and add back some of the juice which I removed the fat from.

It sounds like they cooked similar to a chuck roast. From my experience, the hold is really the key to getting nice tender fall apart beef chuck.
  • #8 by hughver on 28 Jun 2023
  • I'll remember that next time.
  • #9 by hughver on 05 Jul 2023
  • Next time has arrived. I decided to do Pepper Stout Beef with the 5 lb. roast that I bought a couple of days ago. Since my Boneless Short Ribs came out so well when I cooked them further for 1 hour at 210°, I used Paul's pot roast recipe for the beef and otherwise followed the PSB recipe. The roast was too big for my foil pans, so I cut it in half and used two pans and two of everything else in the recipe. After shredding, I combined both pans for the evaporation phase.
      No pictures but believe me, the end result was spectacular.

We are at 1200' elevation here so 210° not easy to reach I settled for209° for 3.5 hours, but worked like a charm. I also used two supplemental smoke generators for the smoke phase. Smoked for 3+hours with pit set to150°, actual surface temp. was 205 to 220°. IT was 146 when removed from grill.
  • #10 by 02ebz06 on 05 Jul 2023
  • Pepper Stout Beef is good.   :lick:
  • #11 by hughver on 05 Jul 2023
  • I'll never fix a pot roast any other way.
  • #12 by 02ebz06 on 05 Jul 2023
  • For some reason don't do much beef other that steak or brisket.
  • #13 by Bar-B-Lew on 05 Jul 2023

I think I would rather have pulled beef from a chuck roast than brisket slices.
  • #14 by hughver on 05 Jul 2023

I think I would rather have pulled beef from a chuck roast than brisket slices.

Ditto.
Pages:
Actions