Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ash from Canada  (Read 726 times)

urnmor

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
Ash from Canada
« on: July 02, 2023, 09:10:49 AM »

Take a look at these photos if one is wondering what they are breathing into their lungs because of the smoke from Canada.  One of our cars sat for a week and this is what I found on the hood. I can only assume it is the ash from smoke coming from the fires out of Canada

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
Re: Ash from Canada
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2023, 10:12:15 AM »

That's not good.
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2023, 10:18:16 AM »

I was in Chicago last week when their air quality index was the worst in the world one of the days there.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2023, 08:38:09 PM »

It would make sense!
"β€˜One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2023, 08:36:36 AM »

It's not from my pit!

urnmor

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2023, 11:22:58 AM »

jdmessner

• Evart, MI
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2023, 02:07:29 PM »

It's not from my pit!

I have been wondering how you have been holding out. How bad is it in your neck of the woods? Hope you are staying safe and breathing comfortably!!
God grant that I may never live to be useless! ― John Wesley

Canadian John

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2023, 02:42:08 PM »

It's not from my pit!

I have been wondering how you have been holding out. How bad is it in your neck of the woods? Hope you are staying safe and breathing comfortably!!
  Thanks JD!  FINALLY, we are back to normal air index numbers... The smoke was so bad the air index numbers off the scale.  We stayed inside for the most part... We did have short periods of not as bad air.

Fortunately we don't have respiratory issues. Could have been bad if we did.

We were lucky, as as bad as it was others had a bad go of it. My daughters ; Ottawa & Peterborough areas. So bad they had to stay inside with the doors & windows shut..

Mother nature is telling us something.  We should listen.

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2023, 07:47:31 AM »

It's not from my pit!

Thanks JD!  FINALLY, we are back to normal air index numbers... The smoke was so bad the air index numbers off the scale.  We stayed inside for the most part... We did have short periods of not as bad air.

Fortunately we don't have respiratory issues. Could have been bad if we did.

We were lucky, as as bad as it was others had a bad go of it. My daughters ; Ottawa & Peterborough areas. So bad they had to stay inside with the doors & windows shut..

Mother nature is telling us something.  We should listen.

C. John, this may sound very stupid, but you are up there so I have to ask.  Are the areas burning not getting any rain to help with fire suppression?  There was an old saying in the forest fire service community in the US -- "The government throws money at these fires until Mother Nature puts it out."

Canadian John

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2023, 08:53:38 AM »

As far as I know a lot of the fires are ongoing.. There has been rain in some areas that has helped somewhat.... There are so many fires, many in remote places & simply not enough fire fighters that the fires

continue.. This years fires far out number the historical average that complicates the problem.

In our area of S W Ontario, the air has been good for the last few days attributed to wind direction.. Last night I viewed the moon. It was clear, displaying its craters.

We have had a severe rain deficit for almost two months. The ground was DRY. Fortunately the last few days have delivered good rains that have soaked in..

elenis

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2023, 08:22:09 AM »

I had heard many of the fires were in really uninhabited areas as well and they prioritize fighting fire to protect lives when things are like that and leave the ones in the middle of no where to burn. A lot of the issue is probably the same there as it is here. People don't want to spend the money to manage the forests well and just let them grow and when we get droughts and what not and a bunch of the forest is basically kindling it doesn't take much for it to go up.
Mak 2 Star General #1799

yorkdude

• Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2023, 04:36:26 PM »

I had heard many of the fires were in really uninhabited areas as well and they prioritize fighting fire to protect lives when things are like that and leave the ones in the middle of no where to burn. A lot of the issue is probably the same there as it is here. People don't want to spend the money to manage the forests well and just let them grow and when we get droughts and what not and a bunch of the forest is basically kindling it doesn't take much for it to go up.
Agree, no one wants to deforest. They want remote, non city and then the fires!
We may be being sent messages from someone but we ought to be smart enough to realize you just cant have both. My thoughts only.

JoeGrilling

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2023, 12:12:23 PM »

Smoke and ash during the summer has become a yearly event in northern California for the last decade or so.  Make sure you wash your car frequently because that stuff gets into the clear coat.  We decided, along with some of our neighbors to move out for better air.

Pages: [1]   Go Up