Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sunday Funday turned in to wing day.  (Read 329 times)

BigDave83

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • South West PA
Sunday Funday turned in to wing day.
« on: July 17, 2023, 04:40:13 PM »

The last few weeks the GF's twin sister messages her and what are we all doing to Sunday Funday, so we end up doing something with her for the day.
When I had made wings for just the two of us, she always sends her sister a picture of wings and she replies I want wings. My cousin's husband had mentioned he wanted wings and thought I should make some for him some time. I was driving by the the poultry plant and turned around and grabbed a case of split wings. 40# for $50 or you could get 10# bags for $17. I bought the case and made half as there were only 5 of us, (I knew there would be to go containers made) Nice size wings, 20 pound was about 90 wing pieces.

I had smoked and then fried in the past several times but the smoke flavors were covered by the sauce we put on. I may try that again next time though, I think the Copperhead will easily hold 20+ pounds of wings.

I did them all in batches with  2 steps, first was 250-275 for about 12 minutes, put them in a pan with a rack to cool and drain.They were cooked through at this time all I had checked were well over 165, then when the people came about 45 minutes later I fired the burner and got the oil back to the 375-400 area and did them for an other 4 minutes.

They were put in a big SS bowl and then divided how ever they wanted in to smaller SS bowls and sauced, Had just simple sauces, Franks Wing sauce, Sweet Baby Rays Garlic Parm (people really liked this), Cattleman Gold and some dry Garlic Parm seasoning from Con Yeager.

The cousin's husband said that was the crispiest wing he ever had. No one went away hungry or with out a doggie bag.

Sorry I am not any where near the photographer most are  on here, I just snap a few shots with the phone.

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
Re: Sunday Funday turned in to wing day.
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2023, 04:51:33 PM »

Nice cook!
When I do wings, it just sauce them (something like Frank's) and do them on the grill.
Have a deep fryer I bought, but have yet to open the box.  Haha
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2023, 07:17:23 PM »

I miss my Traeger XL not working.  I loved making wings on there.  I would buy the 10# bag from Sam's and throw the wings on frozen at about 275-300 degrees and smoke them until crispy.  Once crisp, I would pull them off and sauce them similar to how Dave explained.  I would then throw them back in the smoker to let the sauce set and cook into the skin a little bit for 10-15 minutes or so.

I had a wing sauce I used to make with Red Hot and dry ranch powder and rosemary and butter.

I am a big fan of Sweet Baby Ray's Caribbean Jerk Wing Sauce too.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

yorkdude

• Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2023, 08:14:21 PM »

That looks great and sounds like a great time.

urnmor

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2023, 08:25:52 PM »

All I have to say is wow as wings are one of my favorites

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2023, 08:12:42 AM »

Mighty good Dave!

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2023, 04:21:35 PM »

Fried wings, only thing that comes close is KFC Original Drumsticks.
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”
Pages: [1]   Go Up