Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Hawaii vacation -sites to see  (Read 1116 times)

02ebz06

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Rio Rancho, NM
Hawaii vacation -sites to see
« on: July 18, 2023, 03:01:06 PM »

So with all the posts about vacations, I realized we haven't been on one in a few years.
This morning I booked a 16 day cruise to Hawaii, leaving out of San Francisco Sunday after Thanksgiving.

So it's my turn to ask:  What's worth seeing when there ?
Other than the obvious Arizona and volcanos.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2023, 03:08:19 PM by 02ebz06 »
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

urnmor

Re: Hawaii vacation -sites to see
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2023, 03:40:52 PM »

Will you be going to the Arizona on a tour or by yourself.  If you are going by yourself be sure to call in advance and make a reservation otherwise you may have to wait in line a long time as they take the tours and those with reservations first.  I would also recommend you see the Punchbowl.  Both sights are very moving at least they were to me.  Now if you go on the back side of the island the waves an be spectacular.  Also visit the museums and take in a luau.  Not sure what other islands you will be going to however if you get a chance my neighbors enjoyed a tour of a coffee plantation.  This has been a rough year for their coffee, however Kona coffee is great expensive but great (35 or more a pound).  IMO do not buy the tourist Kona coffee because it only has to be 10% Kona to recalled Kona coffee.  Be sure to take in the sunrises and sunsets as they are magnificent. 

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2023, 03:57:15 PM »

Thanks for the tips/info.  Nothing cheap over there.  $79 per person for Arizona tour.

We will be going to (in order):
Day 1  -  Hilo
Day 2  -  Honolulu
Day 3  -  Kauai
Day 4  -  Maui

Honolulu is the only real long day, don't have to back until 11pm, others are 5pm.
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2023, 04:25:36 PM »

It's been almost 20 years since we went and I was not a big fan of it so won't be much help.  If I recall, we did a luau show, ate some Hawaiian BBQ, went to some place where you cook your own steaks, did the Pearl Harbor tour, went to some inactive volcano, visited the Wyland gallery, Dole pineapple farm.

Whatever you do, enjoy yourself!
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2023, 05:35:42 PM »

It will be difficult to do somethings with time constraints of the cruise, but if you are willing to rent a car you can get lots done.  We did the Dole tour back in 1994, I really enjoyed it.  Would never have believe I would be telling someone to get a Hawaiian Shaved Ice, but the one we had in Hilo at Kula Shave Ice down by the Hilo Bayfront is worth it!  If you are going to see the volcanos on Hawaii without a tour you will need a car and its a nor brainer, if you are taking the tour it will probably not be possible.  Lahaina was so crowded the day we were there I never got off the tender.  We also went snorkeling in Honolulu in 1994 and fed the fish, that was cool.  Just don't remember where exactly we did it!

Are you going on Princess?
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2023, 05:52:56 PM »

We just did that same itinerary on Princess and had visited Oahu before.

I would definitely rent a car on Oahu -- the Dole Plantation was good, if they still do it, the North Shore was amazing to see with the huge waves and the snorkeling place was Hanauma Bay which was fabulous.  Water was so clear and warm and so many fish to see, although I understand it has become crowded over the years. But you would need a car to take in those places.

I would also rent a car in Kauai and drive around. We went over to Poipu later in the day, but I wish we had gone earlier so we could spend time on Brennecke Beach, maybe stop, shop and take a picnic.

The Big Island is another good place to rent a car if you want to visit the volcanos.  We were with friends, so I could not be in complete control of the travel plans that day, but I wanted to start early and get to the other side of the island to visit Pu'okohola Heiau and/or Pu'uhonua O Honaunau.  https://www.nps.gov/locations/hawaii/the-big-island.htm  But I was the only one interested in history and archeology, so......

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2023, 10:46:54 AM »

Yes, it is Princess Cruise lines.  Our third trip with them.
This will be the Crown Princess, same one we took to the Caribbean.  Nice ship.
Stayed in a Suite and a Balcony room before.
They offered me free interior room so took it.
Don't expect to be in it other than sleeping, so thought I'd give it a try.
Did get mid-ship though, so shouldn't be any rocking.

Not sure why it goes down to Ensenada on the way back though.  Only there for 4 hours then back to San Francisco.

The Dole Plantation is something we would like to see.

I think we are a bit too old for snorkeling.  Haha   27 years ago back in 1994 would definitely have gone snorkeling.

We have time to plan what to see, so that's good.

The big island is where we will have the most time, don't have to back onboard until 11pm.

Do plan on doing a little shopping.  Want to get myself a couple shirts.
All I have been buying are shirts made in Hawaii ever since I got my first one in Aruba. Haha

A Luau would be nice

Thanks for the link Kristin.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2023, 10:49:24 AM by 02ebz06 »

Brushpopper

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • "The road goes on forever...
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2023, 11:00:37 AM »

Be sure to set an alarm to get up since you are in an interior room.  We were in one on our first cruise and would sleep until noon since we couldn't see the sun.  I tend to wake up at sunrise otherwise.
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; I had these:
 Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850, 22" Blackstone, Broil King Keg 4000

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2023, 11:05:21 AM »

Unless the ship is Registered in the US...foreign-flagged cruise ships are required to visit at least one non-U.S. port so that they cannot benefit from sailing exclusively within U.S. waters while simultaneously skirting U.S. tax and labor laws.

Not sure why it goes down to Ensenada on the way back though.  Only there for 4 hours then back to San Francisco.
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2023, 11:26:06 AM »

Be sure to set an alarm to get up since you are in an interior room.  We were in one on our first cruise and would sleep until noon since we couldn't see the sun.  I tend to wake up at sunrise otherwise.

Thanks, but I don't think that will be a problem for us, we have blackout curtains.
Wife is always up by 5am anyway and I don't sleep that much anymore.  5-6 hours tops.

==============================================================================================================

Unless the ship is Registered in the US...foreign-flagged cruise ships are required to visit at least one non-U.S. port so that they cannot benefit from sailing exclusively within U.S. waters while simultaneously skirting U.S. tax and labor laws.

I did not know that.

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2023, 12:45:37 PM »

Dang - Just booked Air Fare and it is more than the cruise cost.

Osborn Cox

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2023, 08:01:32 PM »

USS Arizona was a great experience, we got there early before the ticket office opened and got on the first boat to the memorial, worth getting up early for.  On Kauai, a helicopter tour was on my bucket list and definitely lived up to my expectations.   Polihale state park on Kauai was an amazing, nearly deserted beach, but requires a 4WD vehicle to access it.   On Maui we biked down the volcano and I wouldn’t recommend it.  Didn’t make it to the Big island (yet).
Cookshack PG1000, GMG Jim Bowie Prime, Traeger Lil Tex(retired), Blackstone Griddle

Hank D Thoreau

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Civil but disobedient
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2023, 11:56:31 PM »

Volcano National Park is great, especially if you are up to a bit of hiking. You can hike into the Kilauea Caldera. I have never been to Maui but I hear that Haleakala is incredible. The pictures I have seen are great.

The Na Pali Coast is beautiful. Helicopter excursions to some of the waterfalls in the area are pretty spectacular.

It really depends on the type of stuff you like to do. I am an outdoor guy so I focus on the National Parks.

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2023, 10:08:58 AM »

My life has been at a computer desk.
So hiking, walking, and exercising have never been in my wheelhouse.
But when the weather gets cooler I am going to start walking to try to get my body up to doing it, as I know we will be doing a lot of it.

hughver

• University of Louisiana
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2023, 02:00:59 PM »

I took a 10-day Mediterranean cruise a few years back and arranged all of my shore tours (at every port of call) through private tour companies. saved ~$2500 verses ship tour prices. Additionally, instead of standing in line to board a tour bus, there was a guy at the bottom of every gang plank holding up a sign with my name on it. You might try a site called "Cruise Critic" to see comments and suggestions related to your specific cruise. Lots of good information there. That is where I got most of the information for my shore tours.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up