Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by 02ebz06 on 21 Jul 2023
  • I know there have been discussions on the subject, but this is a little different.
    Grilla Grills sent me a couple videos, one for assembling the grill and one for seasoning the griddle.
    I thought that was pretty nice.

Normally I have oiled the griddle completely and then heated it.
    Their video says to heat the griddle first then with a tongs, rub a crumpled up paper towel with oil on it over the griddle.

I was planning on doing it the old way so I can oil top, bottom, and sides.

So, was wondering what the members think about which is better, worse, or no difference.

• #2 by Canadian John on 21 Jul 2023

•  I have always cleaned & dried cast iron cookware prior to oiling.  This assures the moisture is low to non existent. Trapped moisture will in most cases cause flaking or sub par adheason of the seasoning.

Most of us apply too much seasoning oil/product..  A hot surfaces helps with a more desirable thin coat. Even that can be too much that should be wiped down to assure a minimalistic coating. It will appear

wiped off - it's not.

As in painting or oil finishing wood, a thick coat will cure on top sealing the soft uncured product underneath.
  • #3 by Bentley on 21 Jul 2023
  • To me the griddle is like no other piece of cast iron.  It will always be seasoning, so initial seasoning was not that important..  This never sees anything but water and a chore girl when it is cleaned. Day 1 and 2 years of use later, this thing is now non-stick!  I would prefer cooking anything on it over any other form of non-stick.

• #4 by BigDave83 on 21 Jul 2023
  • Scrub it first to get the oils and stuff off, then turn on and leave it heat up and start your seasoning. I used a crisbee stick on the last one I bought. I think  there is a post about making a seasoning mix.

Here it is.

https://pelletfan.com/index.php?topic=6498.msg65952#msg65952
  • #5 by Hank D Thoreau on 22 Jul 2023
  • I have seasoned two outdoor griddles and it went fine just following the instructions. On one I did multiple iterations of heating until it smokes, oiling and scrapping. The other I used the paper towel method that you described. I also used the Blackstone seasoning fat for the second one. If I had to do it again, I would probably find yet another variation. Based on manufacturer recommendations I use vegetable oil. It was pointed out that the seasoning will often peel if you use animal fat. So no lard of bacon grease if you feel that is advice you want to follow.
  • #6 by BigDave83 on 22 Jul 2023
  • I have seasoned two outdoor griddles and it went fine just following the instructions. On one I did multiple iterations of heating until it smokes, oiling and scrapping. The other I used the paper towel method that you described. I also used the Blackstone seasoning fat for the second one. If I had to do it again, I would probably find yet another variation. Based on manufacturer recommendations I use vegetable oil. It was pointed out that the seasoning will often peel if you use animal fat. So no lard of bacon grease if you feel that is advice you want to follow.

I have heard the no lard or bacon fat before also, but then I think back, that is how everyone did cast iron long before I was even thought of. So I am not really sure how accurate that is. I do understand that cast iron is more porous can carbon steel, so that may be the difference.

Here is some smoke point information from Michelin guide I found with a quick search.

Smoke Points of Common Cooking Oils
    Avocado Oil – 520˚F
    Refined Vegetable Oil – 468˚F
    Safflower Oil – 450˚F
    Sunflower Oil – 450˚F
    Peanut Oil – 450˚F
    Corn Oil – 440˚F
    Canola Oil – 400˚F
    Grapeseed – 400˚F
    Virgin Olive Oil – 391˚F
    Extra-Virgin Olive Oil – 375˚F
    Extra-Virgin Coconut Oil – 350˚F
    Sesame Oil – 350˚F
    Walnut Oil – 320˚F
    Flaxseed Oil – 225˚F
  • #7 by 02ebz06 on 22 Jul 2023
  • The LSG videos show using Canola Oil, other videos have shown using Grapeseed oil.
    I have spray cans of Canola Oil that I bought for doing the LSG grill when it gets here, so plan on using it on the Grilla Grills as well.

Thanks for the smoke point chart.
    Good to know.

I see why Peanut Oil is used a lot for deep fryers.  High melting point and most likely cheaper than the ones above it.
  • #8 by Bar-B-Lew on 24 Jul 2023
  • I am not sure you need to be deep frying anything at 450 degrees with peanut oil when 400 degree canola is so much cheaper.  There  may be a flavor difference between the two which is why I think peanut oil is preferred.

I am anxious to follow this thread to see what you end up doing and how you liked how it worked out for you.  I need to season my Weber griddle when I get back home.
Pages:
Actions