Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Bentley on 21 Jul 2023
  • A Modified Andouille being Cold Smoked, if such is even possible when it is 89° and a Sicilian Sausage!  Both will be tried on a Detroit Style pizza for dinner.  Really liking these dried hog casings!

• #2 by BigDave83 on 21 Jul 2023
  • Are these the casings that come packed in salt? Been a long time since I made sausage but that was all I ever used.
  • #3 by Bentley on 22 Jul 2023
  • No.  These have to be soaked in water for a few minutes before use.

• #4 by Bentley on 22 Jul 2023
  • Have not tasted any of the smoked yet.  It...I would call it Warm Smoking instead of cold smoking for about 2 hours with the Costco blend, then 1 hour hot smoke on the Memphis with the Blazen Smoker going too.  If it tastes as good as it looks, will be pleased!

• #5 by 02ebz06 on 22 Jul 2023
  • Have not seen those casings.
    Where did you get them ?

I've been getting the pre-cut ones from Sausagemaker.
  • #6 by Bentley on 22 Jul 2023
  • Amazon.  That is what the current round of Salami is in. 43mm & 50mm.  The above is 43mm, they go as low as 32mm.
  • #7 by ZCZ on 22 Jul 2023
  • Good looking sausage.
    How was it?
  • #8 by Bentley on 22 Jul 2023
  • I enjoyed it, but I did not have enough pork for a full recipe, and when I start adjusting ingredients it never come out great!  A little dirty smoke too!
  • #9 by Bentley on 23 Jul 2023
  • Needed more fat for both flavor and texture.  Also needs a few days to have the smoke mellow!  Had it in some red beans and Rice, it was edible, but it was not gonna win any awards!

• #10 by ZCZ on 23 Jul 2023
  • Ship it to me.  I’ll eat it!
    Al
  • #11 by BigDave83 on 24 Jul 2023
  • It looks good from here. I would eat it, dice some up for in my omelet, probably go well in the egg bites also.

Would you consider this cooked and ready to eat with the 2 hours of hot smoke? Is there any type of cure in it?
  • #12 by Bentley on 24 Jul 2023
  • No, it needed to be cooked in with the beans. About 1/2 tsp of #1 cure.
  • #13 by yorkdude on 24 Jul 2023
  • Obviously cant taste it but it looks awesome.
Pages:
Actions