Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pot Roast Again  (Read 470 times)

hughver

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • University of Louisiana
Pot Roast Again
« on: July 29, 2023, 01:28:59 PM »

A local grocery store had boneless choice chuck roast on sale for $3.29/lb. I picked up a 4 & a 5 pounder. I'm going to use a different game plan this time. Trim, cut into fist size chunks, season with Montreal Steak, smoke chunks for 2 hours at 150°, then, put into Instant Pot with beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, onion, carrots and small red potatoes. After 40 minutes or so, I'll make a gravy out of the juice, shred chunks and serve over Jasmin rice (I'm not a fan of potatoes, but my better half likes them.).
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

GREG-B

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Washougal WA
Re: Pot Roast Again
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2023, 07:05:27 PM »

That's a pretty fair price for chuck roast.  Wish I could find it for a steal like that.  Usually reserve roasts for cooler weather but I would brave the elements for that price.   :clap:
If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy.

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2023, 09:05:43 PM »

I have not done chuck like you with the sauce and vegetables, but I often smoke chunks of chuck roast or chunks of pork butts for a while, then finish in the instant pot for maybe 30-40 minutes. I usually smoke them in a pan and pour the juices that cook out in and that makes enough liquid to cook them a lot of the time.

hughver

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2023, 12:34:21 PM »

It seems that everything thing that I touch these days goes to He**. First it was the Casita AC($5K), then the water softener($5K), then the roof($10K), then my hearing aids($2K), then the house AC($3K) and now my pellet grill($???). While smoking the chuck pieces yesterday, about half hour into cook, I heard a loud bang and saw lots of smoke on the back deck. When I went out to look the pit was at 317°, even though it was set to 150°. The temperature outside was 113°. Other than the grill lid being open and high temp everything looked ok. I shut it down and have not looked at it since. The meat was fine. Other than less smoke than I wanted, the finished product was very good. Now that the pit is cooler, I'll open it up, vacuum it out and see if there is anything that's obviously wrong. I still have my GMG DC but it would cost more to fix it than buy a new one. I may have to revert to my vertical smoker or BGE for smoking. I know, TMI but I just had to vent.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2023, 07:24:19 PM »

Sounds like what I believe they call a flame out. the fire goes out and it feeds pellets to try to get the temp up, usually overflowing the pot. Then the smoldering pellets ignite everything and the gases that built up make the BOOM, and it starts burning all of them and the temp shoot up.

Clean it out and you should be good. It probably had issues trying to hold 150 in the hot ambient temps.

Look on the bright side, all those big things are fixed now so only little things left to break.

hughver

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2023, 11:23:12 AM »

It's no wonder that everything is failing!

Hank D Thoreau

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Civil but disobedient
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2023, 05:39:28 PM »

Hugh, what's worse, Arizona dry heat or Louisiana wet heat?

hughver

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2023, 06:04:25 PM »

Hugh, what's worse, Arizona dry heat or Louisiana wet heat?

Both are tolerable when everything is air conditioned. The weather in AZ in September through April/May is great, a couple of months of heat, is more than enough to offset the bad heat. Very little rain or cold, just sunshine.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2023, 06:22:25 PM by hughver »

hughver

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2023, 06:56:45 PM »

Refrigerator/freezer repaired today, cost, ~$500. Turns out that the compressor runs on 220V and the part that failed was the 120 to 220V converter. The last time that I looked, the freezer was at 19°, so it appears to be working.

I cleaned up the Traeger, there was a lot of partially burned pellets in the bottom. Seems like Big Dave may have been right as to what happened. I'll fire it up tomorrow to see if it works.

I pressure cooked the second chuck roast that I partially smoked the other day and shredded it with the gadget below. I bought it on Temu.com for cheap and free shipping. The thing is hard to hold while turning, so I screwed it to a piece of plywood. You just place the chunks of meat into the gadget, place the top on and turn.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2023, 07:06:56 PM by hughver »
Pages: [1]   Go Up