Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Airplane Travel  (Read 895 times)

urnmor

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
Airplane Travel
« on: August 06, 2023, 08:53:02 AM »

What an awakening.  It has been 5 years since I have traveled by air and boy how it has changed.  First for those who went thru Basic Training in the Army and went by what was commonly referred to as cattle cars to training sites Well IMHO it is almost but not quite like that flying today.  Secondly they do their best to nickel and dime you for everything from charging from baggage to food on the flights.  In fact to get premium wifi you have to pay an additional fee.  I was able to have a small can of soda and a small bag of pretzels at no cost.  Not bad for flying from East Coast to Alaska. Oh and all electronics are connected by bluetooth that meant I could not use my old headset. On the plus side the Stewarts and the Stewardess were very pleasant.  As I only carried on my backpack, which I put in the overhead rack I was able to stretch out my feet.

hughver

• University of Louisiana
Re: Airplane Travel
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2023, 11:16:55 AM »

Air travel has changed for sure. I'll be flying later this month back to Seattle for 10 days. on the plus side I will be able to take my electric wheelchair all the way to the planes door and they will store it from there and will return it to the door upon arrival. Also, I'm flying SWA so two bags and a carry on are free. No food and a free soft drink. We are bringing our 5-year-old Havanese with us and it cost more for her than my ticket ($100 each way for her and $95 for me). I don't have my boat anymore, so we are just visiting relatives.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2023, 01:51:11 PM »

I have flown Economy most of my life, last few trips have been Business.  Have not gotten food on a flight in 30 years in Economy and yes, it has gotten tighter, but it was pretty bad back then to.  I flew United or Delta most of my life cuz Southwest did not Fly into Fresno till after I left!  If I fly SW now, I just buy 2 seats, as I am considered a "Customer of Size".  No one next to me, I get to board the plane 1st, and they refund my 2nd seat after the flight!
"β€˜One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

hughver

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2023, 02:58:36 PM »

I also get into the front of the line due to my wheelchair. It's nice that they accommodate over size people. But at 215# now, I do not qualify as oversize, (may have when I was 265#) but my shoulders are still somewhat wider than the seats and at 6' 3", my legs don't fit at all.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2023, 06:23:50 PM by Bentley »
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

urnmor

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2023, 05:31:50 PM »

I also get into the front of the line due to my wheelchair. It's nice that they accommodate over size people. But at 215# now, I do not qualify as oversize, (may have when I was 265#) but my shoulders are still somewhat wider than the seats and at 6' 3", my legs don't fit at all.

Technically anyone can board early when they ask if anyone needs to board early.  They are not allowed to question one's health especially seniors. 

« Last Edit: August 06, 2023, 06:24:55 PM by Bentley »

urnmor

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2023, 05:36:16 PM »

I have flown Economy most of my life, last few trips have been Business.  Have not gotten food on a flight in 30 years in Economy and yes, it has gotten tighter, but it was pretty bad back then to.  I flew United or Delta most of my life cuz Southwest did not Fly into Fresno till after I left!  If I fly SW now, I just buy 2 seats, as I am considered a "Customer of Size".  No one next to me, I get to board the plane 1st, and they refund my 2nd seat after the flight!

Depending on the length of the flight I was on I always used to get food.  Short flight like from Dc to Orlando soda and pretzels however if I was going West for many years I was given either lunch or dinner.

GREG-B

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Washougal WA
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2023, 05:39:02 PM »

Before retiring, I flew a lot.  Mostly SW.  After having the largest individuals boarding and sitting next to me, (I'm a magnet) I started looking for the smallest female in the aisle, I would say, "I've been saving this seat for you.  99% would take me up on my offer. :rotf:
If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy.

Hank D Thoreau

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Civil but disobedient
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2023, 07:31:06 PM »

Successful airline travel is about understanding the rules and mitigating issues before you get to the airport.

My wife and I ran into issues on our recent trip to Patagonia. It turns out that the weight limits for domestic flights in Argentina were much less than for Chile and international flights coming and going.

You only got the international weight limit if you flew in using the domestic carrier.

We had to dump a bunch of stuff and redistribute weight between bags. Then our luggage scale broke. We got it worked out, but the domestic limit was so low that I am glad we were not doing something that required special equipment.

And if you exceeded the limit baggage was sent as cargo which is not guaranteed to arrive with you. It wasn't just an up charge.

We have been stuck in an Air New Zealand strike and had our baggage permanently lost while travelling to Texas to canoe down the Rio Grande. We also did 26 hours through nine airports with a 22 month old child to get to the Bungle Bungles in Australia. The latter worked out great except for the fact that our son broke out in full body hives on the last leg. We found a local doctor who gave him a penicillin shot.

But I would say the worse is when I broke my hip on the tarmac at Long Beach airport.

They had to bring the ambulance across the tarmac to transport me. I'm not sure how long I was responsible for disrupting air traffic.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2023, 07:34:05 PM by Hank D Thoreau »

jdmessner

• Evart, MI
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2023, 06:05:37 PM »

I appreciate the recent travel threads, they have been timely. I just recieved my final travel arrangements today. We are leaving October 5 and will be flying from Deroit to Newark and then from Newark to Athens, Greece. We are flying United on both legs and on the return trip. Celebrity Cruises has an app that is supposed to help with check in and going through customs.

It will be my first time flying across the big pond. I like the way the trip is set up. Once we arrive we will go straight to the boat (the Celebrity Apex) and will be at sea all of the next day. I am hoping that will help with the jet lag. I am looking forward to the adventure!
God grant that I may never live to be useless! ― John Wesley

urnmor

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2023, 07:12:24 PM »

Enjoy your adventure and take lots of photos.

urnmor

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2023, 07:23:12 PM »

Claire and I leave for Istanbul in early November for a week and then a cruise or eleven days so to make life easier we applied for the Global Entry card that will allow us to by pass the long custom lines re-entering  the States.  The cost was 100 dollars and includes the card that allows you the quick lane when checking in at airport security.  As we plan other overseas trips I thought it would be worth it.  We have our interview with customs on the 12 of Sept.

hughver

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2023, 11:30:50 AM »

To facilitate boating into Canada, I acquired a Nexus pass. it also serves as frequent flyer pass. I think that it is somewhat different than a Global Entry pass, but it works here in the states and in Canada.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2023, 12:03:35 PM »

Claire and I leave for Istanbul in early November for a week and then a cruise or eleven days so to make life easier we applied for the Global Entry card that will allow us to by pass the long custom lines re-entering  the States.  The cost was 100 dollars and includes the card that allows you the quick lane when checking in at airport security.  As we plan other overseas trips I thought it would be worth it.  We have our interview with customs on the 12 of Sept.

That is great to have and was wonderful on my trip home from Europe.  I hope you have enough time to get your number before your trip.  I ended up getting mine a few days before we left.  It took about 6 weeks after my interview to get my number and I had to email the agency and called the interview office 4x to get it handled.

Enjoy the trip!
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

urnmor

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2023, 02:20:06 PM »

That is great to have and was wonderful on my trip home from Europe.  I hope you have enough time to get your number before your trip.  I ended up getting mine a few days before we left.  It took about 6 weeks after my interview to get my number and I had to email the agency and called the interview office 4x to get it handled.

Enjoy the trip!

Thanks for the information as I did not realize that.  I will be sure to follow up like you did.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2023, 03:53:57 PM by Bentley »
Pages: [1]   Go Up