Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ground beef question for those that grind.  (Read 457 times)

BigDave83

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • South West PA
Ground beef question for those that grind.
« on: August 07, 2023, 07:17:33 AM »

We cleaned, defrosted and reorganized the cow freezer last weekend. It had been 2 years since it was done, and I usually try to do them yearly.

I had a bunch of odd packs of stuff, misc chuck roasts, steaks, brisket flat, even a a pork tenderloin and about 6" piece of pork loin. This had been set aside last time to grind which I forgot about doing, we just added more to it last weekend  and most of this stuff was 3-5 years old and all vac sealed well.

I got it out and put in a cooler to thaw Friday, I believe, and yesterday since there was so much I decided to dig out the big #22 grinder instead of using the #8. The only plates I could find were 10mm (3/8) and 4.5mm(3/16) I usually use a 6mm (1/4) on the #8 and I thought I had one for the big grinder.

Ran it though the 4.5 plate and then back through it a second time.

End result taste wise as I bagged it to seal, was slight old taste and the texture wasn't what I am used to. We bagged it all up and I saved out enough to make some burgers, was going to do thin smashed ones but she wanted them on the grill so they were thicker. Seasoned with some burger seasoning and when done, first bite the texture was very fine, and far leaner than I had thought they would be with as much visible fat that was in the different cuts of meat. No hint of the slightly old taste. It will make good meat for chili, tacos or spaghetti more then likely.

Thinking 2 thoughts here, first is I should have only ran it through once and other thought is should have run it through the 10mm plate first.

I went on the old google for some answers and got more confused as everything I saw said 3mm (1/8) plate for burger. Think I will be ordering a 6mm and maybe a 12mm plate for the #22. This was the first I used it in many years as most of my grinding has just been a pork but or two now and then, the reason I bought the #8, just easier to move around.

So how do you grind, once or twice, and what plate size/sizes do you use?

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
Re: Ground beef question for those that grind.
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2023, 02:14:23 PM »

I'm eagerly awaiting the replies to your post since I don't know a thing about grinders or grinding but have a yen to learn.

I hope to (1) use this thread as a tutorial and the first step in my learning process and (2) subsequently buy a grinder.  (I have the attachment to a KitchenAid mixer so I might start there.)
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2023, 04:12:56 PM »

Now that I have the LEM, I always grind twice when doing ground beef.  3/8 first then the 1/4 (6mm) I think.  I am usually adding fat to my ground beef, so I find the 2nd grind incorporates that fat into the mince better then 1 grind or even a double grind of same size!  Paul, the KA attachment is great for grinding, just no so good for sending it through a 2nd time.  I would still highly recommend it as a way to start out and see if your like grinding you own meats!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2023, 04:18:44 PM by Bentley »
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2023, 04:39:19 PM »

Dave, if you have an LEM grinder, they have a double grind attachment.  I have one, but haven't used it yet.  Looks like it is currently on sale.

https://www.lemproducts.com/product/big-bite-dual-grind-attachment/
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2023, 05:57:16 PM »

I have never had an issue sending the 2nd batch through with the head that comes with it.  But I rarely do more then 25lbs at a time!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2023, 08:12:30 PM »

Dave, if you have an LEM grinder, they have a double grind attachment.  I have one, but haven't used it yet.  Looks like it is currently on sale.

https://www.lemproducts.com/product/big-bite-dual-grind-attachment/

I have probably 20+ year old 1hp Cabelas. I have not ground anything through it in I along time, I just used  it for some attachments I have for the motor.
I found that when I was doing sausage and bologna usually 30-50pound batches it worked well,then talking to the meat guy at the little store where I bought a lot of my meat, they would grind it as I wanted for an extra 10 a pound back then. Well I couldn't dig it out,use it clean it and put it away for 3-5 bucks.

hughver

• University of Louisiana
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2023, 01:49:32 PM »

I USE 1/4" PLATE FOR EVERTTHING AND ONLY DO ONE PASS. I have a course grind plate that I've been tempted to use for chili, but never have.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas
Pages: [1]   Go Up