Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bacon, Bacon, Bacon...  (Read 393 times)

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
Bacon, Bacon, Bacon...
« on: August 19, 2023, 05:40:44 PM »

We have a Store that sells the Kunzler bacon.  They put them on sale a few times a year.  They sell them in 10lb. cases for $37.99, which I don't know how much bacon is per pound where you are, but for us that is a bargain!  Decided to get 2!   Cant buy pork belly for this price, it should get us through the rest of the BLT Season!

« Last Edit: August 19, 2023, 05:44:37 PM by Bentley »
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Re: Bacon, Bacon, Bacon...
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2023, 07:06:43 PM »

good ole PA pork from the Amish country
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

BigDave83

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • South West PA
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2023, 09:04:02 PM »

we buy it buy the box at times also. There is anther company that has 15 and 7.5pound boxes a local store sells them for around the same cost for the 15 pound. I believe it is John F Martin and Sons, I have not tried it, but they make a really good Cajun Crab Dip.

Kunzler makes some good hot dogs also, I usually buy the Grill Franks if we have a gathering.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2023, 08:16:03 AM »

John F Martin has some good sausages too.

Addiitonally, I believe JF Martin sells bacon scraps in a 10# box too.  I know my brother buys them when he is making mac and cheese to use the bacon fat for the ruex and so that he doesn't have to cut sliced bacon strips into pieces.  I think he used to pay $2.50/# or something like that.  I know it was cheaper than the sliced bacon by a few $ a pound.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2023, 08:56:42 AM »

Bacon ends and pieces used to be something I saw regularly, now not so much, but I buy them when I see them. 

Brushpopper

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • "The road goes on forever...
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2023, 09:36:27 AM »

End and pieces is all we ever had when I was a kid.  The sliced stuff was too expensive according to my mother.  I'm like Dave and will buy them when I see them now to season beans and anything else that needs bacon.  We usually cheat and use the pre-cooked microwave bacon now when we cook eggs.
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; I had these:
 Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850, 22" Blackstone, Broil King Keg 4000

reubenray

• Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2023, 10:52:16 AM »

My wife use to use ends and pieces when cooking beans or peas.  But we can't find it now.  I have four pounds of Wright's bacon on my smoker right now.  We use this for everything.
Traeger Junior, Smokin Brothers PP36 and 17" Blackstone Griddle

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2023, 07:38:24 PM »

My wife use to use ends and pieces when cooking beans or peas.  But we can't find it now.  I have four pounds of Wright's bacon on my smoker right now.  We use this for everything.

We have tried Wrights bacon, but we did buy it at Walmart so I guess that could be it, we also were using Gordons bacon. I had some of each in the fridge, so I made both and everyone thought Gordons was better. We just had the regular stuff no maple or pepper. I have not seen it at any other stores than Walmart around me.

Do you know if one flavor is better than the others. We had bought it several times and thought it was ok, but when we tried Gordons we switched for the most part, we usually buy the 9-11 slice per pound stuff.

reubenray

• Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2023, 08:12:16 PM »

I can't tell the difference between the flavors.  I get the double packs from Sam's Club.  I know nothing about Gordons bacon.
Traeger Junior, Smokin Brothers PP36 and 17" Blackstone Griddle
Pages: [1]   Go Up