Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Hank D Thoreau on 22 Aug 2023
  • My local market has been carrying some pretty decent beef back ribs lately, at least decent compared to what you normally find.

A while back I used the 3-2-1 method for the first time and it worked pretty well. The only problem is that I hit my final temperature after phase 2 and had to cut phase 3 short.

I decided to give it a try again. I was cooking in the 220 to 230 range. This time I wrapped after 2 1/2 hours. Surprisingly, I hit a stall after wrapping. At least that is what my probes were telling me.

I extended phase 2 to 3 1/2 hours and then phase three to 1 1/4 hours. I was still showing a little short on temperature when I probed, but I felt they were done.

I added sauce and seared on my Weber Q2200 gas grill at 550 F for about a minute on each side. They turned out really good. I think I will continue to use this method. It is pretty fool proof as long as you make adjustments as you go.

I did this cook before Hurricane Hilary. I did not have time to reduce the picture sizes until now.

[ Invalid Attachment ]   [ Invalid Attachment ]   [ Invalid Attachment ]   [ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #2 by Brushpopper on 22 Aug 2023
  • They look delicious!!  Hope all is well with y'all during the storm.
  • #3 by dk117 on 23 Aug 2023
  • wow those look great.   Normally I don't get the beef back ribs from Albertsons/Safeway as there's no meat on them!  I go get the dino  ribs from the butcher when I want beef ribs.  I'll have to take a second look at Safeway this weekend as I did note they were on sale, didn't bother to inspect them based on previous failures. 
  • #4 by pmillen on 23 Aug 2023
  • My experience, too.  It's difficult to find beef ribs with meat adequate for BBQ.  I have the butcher saw the ones I buy into three-inch pieces and I boil them for vegetable beef soup.
  • #5 by Hank D Thoreau on 25 Aug 2023
  • My experience, too.  It's difficult to find beef ribs with meat adequate for BBQ.  I have the butcher saw the ones I buy into three-inch pieces and I boil them for vegetable beef soup.

These were from Albertson's. They have had quite a lot of beef ribs lately. These were in a vacuum pack, but they have also had them in butcher packs.

Some are meatier than these, but these were pretty good. Not the type that only has a small amount of meat between the bones.

I did my previous two batches in a Crock Pot. While I like the convenience, they did not come out with the texture I was looking for.
  • #6 by reubenray on 25 Aug 2023
  • I have looked at these several times at Walmart, but there were more bones than meat on them. 
  • #7 by dk117 on 28 Aug 2023
  •  [ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #8 by dk117 on 28 Aug 2023
  • I'm still working on Dino (plate I believe) ribs.  I had them in Dallas, Pecan Lodge.  Best single bite of BBQ I've ever had.  Haven't quite been able to replicate at home.   Still a great meal.   You inspired me to head down the the butcher last week.

$9.98 a lb.  about 4.5 lbs.
  • #9 by Bentley on 28 Aug 2023
  • Couple of shiners, but for the most part, good looking ribs.  RD used to have a great Superior Choice beef rib.
  • #10 by pmillen on 28 Aug 2023
  • "Shiners", Bentley?  What's a shiner?
  • #11 by BigDave83 on 28 Aug 2023

The bones through the meat before cooking, is what I have always been told.
  • #12 by yorkdude on 28 Aug 2023

The bones through the meat before cooking, is what I have always been told.
    Thats what my Grandfather used to say?
  • #13 by pmillen on 28 Aug 2023
  • "Well, gooooolly!"
           Gomer Pyle
  • #14 by Hank D Thoreau on 29 Aug 2023
  • I like the ribs with a couple of inches of meat on top, but they are very expensive difficult to find. Finding beef back ribs with a reasonable amount of meat on them is a decent substitute, even when they have a few shiners.

I have had racks before that were all shiners. I quit trying to make those work.
  • #15 by reubenray on 29 Aug 2023
  • Sam's Club has dinosaur ribs by the case, but they are $7.28/lb and approximately $530 a case.
Pages:
Actions