Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by Big Bear on 25 Aug 2023
  • Those are pretty....
  • #17 by Bentley on 25 Aug 2023
  • I am not sure if I do something technically wrong when I smoke sausage in a hog casing, but it seems to ruin the casing (fresh or in this case dried).  These are unbelievable tough.  The favor is decent.  I will try a 60/40 ration in Round II.  I would be pleased if the casing was not a fail, but because of it I must call Round I a failure!

• #18 by Bentley on 25 Aug 2023
  • Gonna suck it up and spring for the high heat cheese too!
  • #19 by Bar-B-Lew on 26 Aug 2023
  • Looked good.  Was there a snap when biting into the sausage?
  • #20 by Bentley on 26 Aug 2023
  • It will snap your teeth when biting into it!
  • #21 by Bar-B-Lew on 27 Aug 2023
  • Bentley, here is the East Texas Smokie sausage that I mentioned earlier in this post

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #22 by Bentley on 27 Aug 2023
  • Is that an All Beef?

I will say, cooked and sliced thin on the slicer makes a huge difference in these Hot Guts links.
  • #23 by Bar-B-Lew on 27 Aug 2023
  • Is that an All Beef?

I will say, cooked and sliced thin on the slicer makes a huge difference in these Hot Guts links.

I don't think it is all beef.  In fact, to me, it tastes like a pork sausage.  But I am not sure. I will have to remember to ask the next time I go to that butcher which is usually once every 2-3 years.
  • #24 by Bentley on 08 Sep 2023
  • Round II on the Hot Guts Sausage.  I decided to cube meat and add spices.  It will meld over night and then be course ground.  No more mixing after grinding.  I like that texture for breakfast sausage, but not for this.  This also non seeded JalapeƱo, and a 60/40% ration on the meat/fat!  Another 1Kg batch for testing!  Will put this in the dried casing and not smoke and in the cellulose casing and will smoke that and then remove it.  Will be a much thinner link, but will see if the skinless is the way to go!

• #25 by Bentley on 10 Sep 2023
  • Round II.  The small one with the black line is a cellulose sausage casings.  It is kind of like reverse Gortex, will let smoke in, but nothing out.  Has to be peeled after cooking.

• #26 by BigDave83 on 10 Sep 2023
  • How do the cellulose casing work and what size are you using.

I always thought I wanted to make hot dogs or maybe even buy some to make beef stick/ slim jims. I usually use collagen casing but they never turn out right, they peel off or become rubbery. Have tried different brands, even took some to the butcher supply place I bought casings and asked him, he had no idea but said just peel it off, and said it is a really good stick without it.

Can't wait to see how yours turn out.
  • #27 by Bentley on 10 Sep 2023
  • I bought these to make Hot Dogs.  I think they are a 26mm, they are 2 small for a Hot Link, but all I had.  They work pretty much like any other casing, just have to be peeled after cooking!

How do the cellulose casing work and what size are you using.
  • #28 by Bentley on 10 Sep 2023
  • Round II seems to have gone better.  I griddle cooked the remains left in stuffer.  Flavor good, cooked a little fast, so the char was not for me.  Might be a tad to hot, but that can be fixed (I ground Japs with veins and seeds).  Really like the High Heat cheese.  Looking forward to cooking one in the dried hog casing with the fat content and the cheese.  I am hoping without smoking the texture of both meat and casing will be to my liking, yet not totally change the flavor!
  • #29 by Bentley on 11 Sep 2023

• #30 by Bentley on 11 Sep 2023
  • You can definitely tell the cellulose accepts smoke!

Pages:
Actions