Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Heat Shield + wood chunks  (Read 2793 times)

dk117

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
Heat Shield + wood chunks
« on: August 31, 2023, 02:59:07 PM »

https://smokedaddyinc.com/product/the-heavy-d-stick-burning-heat-diffuser/

I thought I had a unique idea / twist on the Camp Chef design to introduce wood chunk smoldering by placing the wood over or next to the fire pot.  I asked Gator pit to build me what I thought was a good design (it wasn't)  They directed me to the Heavy D by Smoke Daddy.

My heat shield is warped badly, which wasn't supposed to happen, but it's 5 years old.  I'm in the market for a new one, a few bucks more and I'm going to try this.  Anyone have any experience with it?

DK
2018 Gator Pit Premier Texas II
2004 Vermont Castings Natural Gas Grill

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
Re: Heat Shield + wood chunks
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2023, 04:58:12 PM »

If you are looking for a heavier smoke flavor, it looks like it might produce that!  Interesting concept.
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2023, 10:46:54 PM »

I've been to their shop in IL.  They make some quality stuff.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

hughver

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • University of Louisiana
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2023, 02:38:35 PM »

Interesting concept, I might give it a try.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

JoeGrilling

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2023, 03:02:30 PM »

I bought a Smoke Daddy heat shield years ago after the one that came with my Traeger got badly warped.  The Smoke Daddy version is built like a tank.  It is made with much thicker steel.  I doubt it will ever warp.

dk117

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2023, 12:13:09 PM »

Bentley and Kristin please proceed with any edits, moving, redirecting or deletion.  Not affiliated with Smoke Daddy and this is certainly not a PF review.  Just having fun.

Got my heavy D last week and am trying it for the first time today.  I ordered hickory logs from Smoke Daddy, I purchased lump charcoal from Safeway.  I split the hickory and charcoal, and have my pit sitting on high prior to putting a single rack of ribs on for the Broncos game today.

I am seeking additional smoke flavor.  Best BBQ I've ever had was on a stick burner.  I'm pretty good at turkey legs, bacon (yup just regular old thick cut bacon) and tri tip.   I have room for improvement on ribs, brisket, and pork butt.  I've tried all sorts of things over the past 14 years ... stick burning wasn't one of them. 

I suspect my larger cooks will all be with this pseudo stick burner contraption.  It doesn't take long, but is an additional step to startup.  I believe I run on high for 30 mins to get some combustion of the hickory and charcoal, then let it ride as normal.  We'll see how it goes and I'll report back if I get noticeable smoke on the ribs today.  Will go without saucing to hopefully determine smoke flavor.

DK
« Last Edit: September 17, 2023, 12:17:48 PM by dk117 »

dk117

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2023, 12:14:52 PM »

Beautiful morning!
 [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2023, 12:35:37 PM »

Interesting contraption.  Looking forward to hearing how your cook turns out.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2023, 01:11:51 PM »

I'm interested, too.  Especially in the nature of the smoke produced.  I've come to agree with a statement Bentley made years ago (that I originally poo-pood) that the best flavored smoke could be invisible or at the most visible, be light blue.  (Remember his post of an outdoor fire he had built to burn wood he was clearing from his woodlot?  The smoke was light blue and he captioned it that it was almost perfect smoke for BBQ.)  I've rejected several smoke augmenting devices because they made sour white smoke due to smoldering rather than burning.

This may be a game-changer for me.  It may stimulate a rash of pit selling and a new unit purchase.

This web site is invaluable to me.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2023, 01:57:23 PM »

Have at it!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

dk117

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2023, 08:12:29 AM »

the product itself is thicker gauge than the original, which is surprising as Gator is known for their steel work.  I need to get a picture of the box post cook.   I just glanced, but it looked like all of the hickory and charcoal were ash.  Smoke output was high initially, as was temp.  Took an hour all told to get started and then settle down.  I suspect I can reduce that time significantly.  When I put the ribs on the grate they sizzled.  To me that signaled I was too hot.  A few crispy bits on the bottom of the rack seemed to confirm.  When it did settle, I'd call it invisible (more so than thin blue) smoke.  I recall the old conversations and the debates and how a palate would be for pellets.  I'm not looking for burp level smoke.  Just that extra layer I think I'm missing.

Now to the hard part.  I made too many changes baseline for proper judgement.  No sauce, butcher paper wrap, beef tallow, Lawry's, pepper, and my go to rub for mccormick pork sweet and smoky.

These were the second best ribs I've ever made.  Maybe I just got lucky and rendered them properly.  Maybe it was the additional smoke.  I'm going to have to do a lot more cooks before coming to a judgement.  I'm inclined to say winner, but time will tell with other cuts.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2023, 08:16:25 AM by dk117 »

dk117

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2023, 08:13:18 AM »

[ Invalid Attachment ]

hughver

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2023, 02:28:01 PM »

Since my Traeger heat shield is severely warped. I used that as justification for buying one of these. In my opinion a bit pricy, but you can't take it with you. I also bought three boxes of wood chunks, one cherry, one hickory and a whiskey barrel version. All from Amazon with free delivery, some arrive tomorrow.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

hughver

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2023, 03:47:21 PM »

Heat shield arrived, it fits, and it is indeed a lot heavier than the old one. It came with two massive chunks of dried split wood, however the chunks that I ordered from Amazon were just cut pieces of sawed lumber. I do not know if they will work in this gadget.

hughver

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2023, 06:17:24 PM »

DK, I tried to buy wood chunks from Smoke Daddy but the shipping charge was outrageous did you find a source that was affordable?

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up