Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Brisket in the New Place  (Read 490 times)

jdmessner

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Evart, MI
Brisket in the New Place
« on: September 07, 2023, 10:29:00 AM »

Sunday will be my first time cooking for the new crowd. We are having a picnic and I am providing brisket and pulled pork for sliders. I am purchasing the brisket from a local farmer. I am not sure of the grade, but he has a reputation for great beef. I will be picking it up tonight.

The question I have is whether or not to inject it. I have never found a need to inject brisket. Does it really ehance the flavor or is it primarily insurance to keep the brisket from getting dry? If it is worthwhile, I am willing to give it a try. If I do inject any sugestions for a good marinade? If it isn't worth the hassle, I am also good with that.

This will set the tone for future efforts and you never get a second chance to make a first impression!
God grant that I may never live to be useless! ― John Wesley

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Re: Brisket in the New Place
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2023, 10:41:47 AM »

This will set the tone for future efforts and you never get a second chance to make a first impression!

I feel a little bit different about this.  My suggestion would be don't experiment on your first impression.  Make it how you have been making it.  Do some practice later using an injection and assess whether it is worth it or not.  I am sure you can find someone to eat it if you are not pleased with the results.  And, Plan B can always be to use it for chili.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2023, 11:22:29 AM »

I injected primarily for the moisture retention, that is why I used sodium phosphate in my injections, flavor was a side thought. 

Having said that, you want the 1st one unadulterated to see just how "great" this beef is.

My suggestion would be don't experiment on your first impression.
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

jdmessner

• Evart, MI
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2023, 12:36:33 PM »

When I went to pick up the beef it was one of the most picturesque farms I think I have ever seen. If that is a reflection of the meat quality, I am in luck!

The meat was frozen. He did give me a great price. Apparently when his meat is processed, he has it cut the same way each tme and it comes frozen. I asked him about getting larger and fresh cuts in the future, but he said he doesn't do that. However, he did refer me to a butcher shop in a nearby town. I went there for the pork. It is now my new favorite butcher shop! Walking in the door made you feel like you were stepping back in history.

I ended up with 2 points and a flat, weighing a total of 13 pounds. On the plus side it was nicely trimmed, so I am not getting a lot of scrap.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

jdmessner

• Evart, MI
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2023, 06:38:41 PM »

I had not used my old Trager in a long time. It predates hotrods and has the controller with the options of smoke, medium and high. The ironic thing is, I have found that I like the flavor from the low tech grill more than the grills with digital controls. The only problem is it's a lot more work to get it ready than just pushing a button. I did enjoy getting back in the old routine.

I went about my normal preparation, no injection and rubbed with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. The brisket was very lean. If there was a case for injection this would have been it.

The other problem I had, was miscalculaing the cook times. I had to pull the briskets a bit early. It was not bad. The flavor was good, but a little on the dry side. After slicing it, I put it in a crackpot with a quart of Better than Bullion. People commented on it being moist and tender. There were some folks there who I am sure would have been brutally honest if it was off!

While the brisket was close temperature wise, I greatly misjudged the pork shoulder. There might be something to be said about accurate temp control after all!

I knew it wasn't going to be ready on time, so I pulled it at 145*, sliced it thin and called it pork roast. I kept it warm in a roaster with apple juice. Once again, people seemed to enjoy it! Even though the pork didn't turn out as planned, it turned out.

All in all, it was a good day!

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2023, 08:10:43 PM »

I think a lot of people love Roast Pork!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

jdmessner

• Evart, MI
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2023, 08:55:44 AM »

I think a lot of people love Roast Pork!

Hands down, I  prefer it over pulled pork.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Pages: [1]   Go Up