Pages:
Actions
  • #61 by pmillen on 21 May 2021
  • It's all about temperature control.

Do you think that crock pot temperature control doesn't match a SV unit?
  • #62 by Bar-B-Lew on 21 May 2021
  • I think the temp control on a crock pot is closer to that of an oven but have nothing to prove that.
  • #63 by Bentley on 21 May 2021
  • My Hamilton Beach is very stable.  Only problem is I only have 3 settings.  When I was trying to see if I could use it for sous vide it stayed at 140° on warm and 180° on low. I mean like spot Anova on!.  Never tried high cuz I knew I was never gonna sous vide anything at 180° so why did it matter
  • #64 by hughver on 21 May 2021
  • I have three crock pots (one manual and two electronic), on low, they all seem to boil (simmer) the liquid. I've never measured the temperature nor stability of any of them. I sometimes use the manual one (the high-low-warm version) for sous vide. I set it to high and use a home made temperature control contraption to turn the power on and off to maintain a constant temperature, it works pretty good. The electronic ones reset to warm every time you remove power and therefore don't work for sous vide.
  • #65 by pmillen on 21 May 2021
  • (I realize that Bentley really wasn't planning to shred his drumsticks, he was just looking for that consistency, but the thread "turned" a bit when I reasoned that seasoned breasts shred just fine when SVd at 140°F for an hour and a half causing me to wonder why 160°F for 8 hours would be necessary for the desired drumstick texture.)

Here’s what I was thinking when I wrote, "Vis-à-vis shredded chicken breasts, I don't see a benefit over a crock pot."

If the desired result is a chicken breast that shreds, what matter the device or the temperature accuracy, as long as the finished product is properly seasoned, cooked and shreds?

As I think about it, I've decided to use our slow cooker the next time I need to prepare breasts for shredding.
  • #66 by BigDave83 on 21 May 2021
  • I have three crock pots (one manual and two electronic), on low, they all seem to boil (simmer) the liquid. I've never measured the temperature nor stability of any of them. I sometimes use the manual one (the high-low-warm version) for sous vide. I set it to high and use a home made temperature control contraption to turn the power on and off to maintain a constant temperature, it works pretty good. The electronic ones reset to warm every time you remove power and therefore don't work for sous vide.

That is how I started out many years ago, a $15 controller from Ebay and my old slowcooker. Used it for a a year or so before I decied to buy the sous vide supreme.
  • #67 by Bentley on 24 Sep 2023
  • Along with the Dry Aged Rib Roast, I am cooking Salmon in Texas.  Trying a 2 hour, 6% salt n sugar brine.  It is now in the Anova @ 135° for 2.5 hours.  Since Kristin thinks 135-140° is just about right for Salmon, I will grill on Memphis Pro for 2 minutes for grill marks and call it quits.  I am only grilling one side as I am fearful that after Sous Vide the filets are going to be hard to turn.  This is all for experience as I have no idea if the numbers are right!
  • #68 by Bar-B-Lew on 24 Sep 2023
  • I see that Anova now has their 3rd version of their sous vide machines out now.
  • #69 by hughver on 25 Sep 2023
  • Along with the Dry Aged Rib Roast, I am cooking Salmon in Texas.  Trying a 2 hour, 6% salt n sugar brine.  It is now in the Anova @ 135° for 2.5 hours.  Since Kristin thinks 135-140° is just about right for Salmon, I will grill on Memphis Pro for 2 minutes for grill marks and call it quits.  I am only grilling one side as I am fearful that after Sous Vide the filets are going to be hard to turn.  This is all for experience as I have no idea if the numbers are right!

As I've mentioned before, for my taste 130° is the sweet spot for salmon. Some professional chefs swear by 125° as the perfect temperature. To each his own. I use a two-piece hinged basket to flip salmon.
  • #70 by Bentley on 25 Sep 2023
  • Just to hard to grill after sous vide, and since I am gonna have about 5-6lbs. to grill, will just start raw! Kristin is not a big fan of texture after sous vide, so another reason to just straight up grill!
  • #71 by BigDave83 on 25 Sep 2023
  • Just to hard to grill after sous vide, and since I am gonna have about 5-6lbs. to grill, will just start raw! Kristin is not a big fan of texture after sous vide, so another reason to just straight up grill!

I have never tried to SV salmon, I am like you, for all the longer it takes i just grill or pan fry usually. 
  • #72 by urnmor on 26 Sep 2023
  • As I have so much salmon from our Alaskan fishing trip I just might have to try SVing some.  If so I will let you all know how it comes out.
  • #73 by Bentley on 26 Sep 2023
  • I think 130° is the number too!  It is not real pretty when it comes out of the sous vide, but to me, it is cooked perfectly.  I just cant seem to figure out how to finish that much salmon on the grill without it being a giant mess!  So will hope cooking raw is the answer!
  • #74 by hughver on 26 Sep 2023
  • I've never sous vide salmon except for some frozen prepackaged seasoned filets from Costco. If I'm doing salmon with the skin on, I just gill them to 130° IT with skin down, baste with a homemade sauce and never flip. Grill set to around 200°. Lower for more smoke and higher for quicker finish.
Pages:
Actions