Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pistachio Encrusted Halibut  (Read 487 times)

urnmor

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
Pistachio Encrusted Halibut
« on: September 12, 2023, 08:54:05 AM »

I have been cooking a lot of fish from our Alaskan Fishing Trip. So last night I made a Pistachio Encrusted Halibut served with Brown rice topped with a piece of watermelon and balsamic glazed asparagus. The dessert was a home made Lemon Meringue Pie. the wine was a Robert Craig Winery Chardonnay. The skin was first peeled from the halibut and a dijon mustard with lemon peel, salt and pepper was brushed on the top layer. The pistachio nuts were crushed in a blender and then mixed with Planko breading and cilantro and placed on topped of the halibut. I used EVOO on the bottom of my pan and cooked in the oven at 400 degrees for about 7 minutes.

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
Re: Pistachio Encrusted Halibut
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2023, 02:32:14 PM »

By the sounds of it, the halibut had to have been good.  Was it?

A different kind of meal for sure.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2023, 02:43:49 PM »

Interesting crust for the fish.  I bet it enhanced the flavor of it!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

urnmor

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2023, 06:35:56 PM »

By the sounds of it, the halibut had to have been good.  Was it?

A different kind of meal for sure.

Yes it was

urnmor

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2023, 06:39:05 PM »

Interesting crust for the fish.  I bet it enhanced the flavor of it!

Yes both the mustard moisturizer and the pistachio topping did however IMO what is more important is not to overcook the halibut to where it is no longer moist

okie smokie

• Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2023, 11:36:38 AM »

Halibut is one of my favorites but is a pain to fish for. When I fished in the Queen Charlotte Islands, for them it was like fishing for catfish. They are bottom feeders, and we were in 60-70+feet of water, using heavy duty stiff rods and hooks baited with scraps from salmon processing. The halibut are like flounders, flat, bottom feeders and feel like trying to pull up a barn door when caught. Not much fight, just flat dead weight, until you get them to the top. A 20 pounder is a real job to pull up, but we saw one pulled up that weighed 120 lbs and much bigger ones have been caught. The big ones are not the  best to eat, as they often have parasites and some worms in the meat. But--the smaller ones are my favorite ocean fish. The local fishermen called it "chicken" fishing. They have become very expensive, recently. Not sure why.
Hope yours was as good as it looked.

urnmor

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2023, 03:08:01 PM »

Halibut is one of my favorites but is a pain to fish for. When I fished in the Queen Charlotte Islands, for them it was like fishing for catfish. They are bottom feeders, and we were in 60-70+feet of water, using heavy duty stiff rods and hooks baited with scraps from salmon processing. The halibut are like flounders, flat, bottom feeders and feel like trying to pull up a barn door when caught. Not much fight, just flat dead weight, until you get them to the top. A 20 pounder is a real job to pull up, but we saw one pulled up that weighed 120 lbs and much bigger ones have been caught. The big ones are not the  best to eat, as they often have parasites and some worms in the meat. But--the smaller ones are my favorite ocean fish. The local fishermen called it "chicken" fishing. They have become very expensive, recently. Not sure why.
Hope yours was as good as it looked.

We were fishing in about 100 feet of water and our fish weighed about 25 to 30 lbs, however, I did catch one that weighed between 75 to 80 lbs.  Like you said over 100 you have to be careful as many have parasites and worms.

You are right about the cost.

okie smokie

• Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2023, 07:41:00 PM »

Wow! Must have felt like a 200lb dead weight on the big one. Did you just turn him loose?

hughver

• University of Louisiana
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2023, 08:27:09 PM »

I've only caught two halibut in my lifetime, one in Puget Sound and the other in Barkley Sound, both were in the 90lb. range. We caught the Puget Sound one while Jigging for Ling Cod. The other one was caught while Salmon fishing. Neither one had parasites or worms.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

urnmor

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2023, 06:58:56 AM »

Wow! Must have felt like a 200lb dead weight on the big one. Did you just turn him loose?

No some of it is now been cooked as seen from above.  As for the parasites they are usually found in Halibut over 100 lbs. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up