Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by BigDave83 on 14 Sep 2023
  • Has anyone froze corn, I know growing up it used to be done, but it was nothing like fresh corm we usually used it for fried corn.

I want to try to do some and some searching gave me a wide range of ways to  do it.

Just cut both ends and bag it and freeze.
    Husk bag and freeze.
    Husk cut it off bag it and put a salt/sugar water brine in the bag and freeze.
    Then we have the husk blanch, ice water and either freeze whole or cut it off the cob.
    I even seen where it was husked, cut off cob, in to a large pot with a small amount of water in the bottom,boiled and then the pot in to an ice bath and stir to cool then bag and freeze.

More than likely what I do will end up fried with some bacon and onions. But would be nice to have it kind of like those steam fresh bags. Probably just as cheap to buy those as to mess with doing it myself, but still want to try it.

So how have the people in here froze corn?
  • #2 by Bar-B-Lew on 14 Sep 2023
  • The few times I did it was just leave husk on and put in a freezer ziplock and into the freezer.
  • #3 by Brushpopper on 14 Sep 2023
  • I usually just stick it in the freezer with no bag or anything but still in the husk.  If your going to store long term I would put it in a zip top bag but for short term I've never had a problem.  You can also cook it in the husk directly on coals but you need to turn it occasionally.  It just takes a few minutes that way.
  • #4 by ylr on 14 Sep 2023
  • Grandma used to husk, then blanch, cool, and then put in freezer bags. Half of the corn that she blanched she cut off the kernels(scraping the remaining juice off the cobs) into freezer bags and froze that. We had corn of some sort(also green beans; she blanched and froze those, too) nearly every Sunday.
  • #5 by BigDave83 on 15 Sep 2023
  • Thanks for the insight.

I had about 9 ears left from last week, I cooked them for about 5 minutes or so and cut off. Seeing what I got out of them I had the GF tell her friends we would probably need 5 dozen if they had instead of 3. She will pick it up on her way home. So that will be tomorrow mornings project when we get back from the poultry plant. I think we may try some of each and see which turns out better to us. It will more than likely all be cut off the cob. So we will blanch some, brine some and just bag some once cut off.
  • #6 by jdmessner on 15 Sep 2023
  • Grandma used to husk, then blanch, cool, and then put in freezer bags. Half of the corn that she blanched she cut off the kernels(scraping the remaining juice off the cobs) into freezer bags and froze that. We had corn of some sort(also green beans; she blanched and froze those, too) nearly every Sunday.

That's what I remember as a kid. We would husk the corn, while my mom and grandma spent the day in the kitchen over the stove.
  • #7 by ICIdaho on 15 Sep 2023
  • I grew up on frozen corn after the summer harvest was done.  We did like YLR said, but we always prepared all of it by cutting of the kernels, never whole cobs.  I loved it and still do.  A good sweet corn is almost as good frozen and reheated as straight off the cob, far better than the canned stuff.
  • #8 by elenis on 15 Sep 2023
  • I bought a bushel last year and I husked it, blanched it, and then took all the kernels off into zip top bags, made sure I froze them flat in the freezer and it worked well. Way better then regular store bought frozen corn. Got so much though I am still using last years.
  • #9 by BigDave83 on 15 Sep 2023
  • Cooking and cutting it off the cob yesterday brought back the memories of slab corn. I remember growing up having the butter a knife and the salt shaker when cutting corn off. Those big slabs with little butter and salt.
  • #10 by Brushpopper on 16 Sep 2023
  • I remember my mom frying it in a little butter in a cast iron skillet after she cut it off the cob.  I'm not sure if frying is the right word.  Maybe heating it up quick is the right way to say it but it made a frying sound.  It seems like a little bacon grease was involved also.  I don't remember exactly how she did it.
  • #11 by BigDave83 on 16 Sep 2023
  • I remember my mom frying it in a little butter in a cast iron skillet after she cut it off the cob.  I'm not sure if frying is the right word.  Maybe heating it up quick is the right way to say it but it made a frying sound.  It seems like a little bacon grease was involved also.  I don't remember exactly how she did it.

Yes some bacon juice and even some of the bacon fried with the corn, a little salt and pepper and it was pretty good.
  • #12 by jdmessner on 16 Sep 2023
  • I was watching a cooking show the other day and someone made what they called corn riblets. I had not heard of such a thing before, but it did sound kind of interesting. I don't know if I will get a chance to try it this year or not. Sweet corn is comeing to an end around here.

This is a recipe from Ree Drumond on the Food Network, but there are a lot of them out there.

Ribs:
    1 tablespoon brown sugar
    1 tablespoon smoked paprika
    1 heaping teaspoon garlic powder
    1 large pinch kosher salt
    1 large pinch black pepper
    3 ears corn, shucked
    2 tablespoons olive oil

Mustard Mayo:
    1/4 cup mayonnaise
    1/4 cup BBQ sauce
    2 tablespoons brown mustard
    1 tablespoon honey

Garnish:
    1/2 cup store-bought fried onions
    2 green onions, sliced thin

Directions

Preheat the oven to 425°F. Cover the bottom of a baking sheet with parchment paper.

For the ribs: In a small bowl, mix together the brown sugar, paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Set aside.

Using a sharp knife, carefully halve the ears of corn lengthwise.
    Then, cut each half lengthwise, creating 4 equal pieces.

Brush each with the olive oil and season the corn with the spice mix. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet.

Bake until the corn is nicely charred and the slices begin to curl, resembling ribs, 18 to 20 minutes.

While the ribs bake, make the mustard mayo: Mix together the mayonnaise, BBQ sauce, mustard and honey in a small bowl. Set aside.

Remove the ribs from the oven and immediately brush with a little bit of the sauce.

Transfer the corn ribs to a platter. Sprinkle over the fried onions and the green onions, then serve.
Pages:
Actions