Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Kristin Meredith on 14 Sep 2023
  • Cooking with "my team" at Manna Ministry tomorrow.  Went through the church freezers looking at meat donations -- lots of beef, but in small cuts.  Some roasts, lots of different steaks, two massive Tomahawk steaks, stew meat, etc. So we decided to make bbq beef sandwiches with baked beans and sliced pears. I brought home about 40 lbs of meat and had it braising in the ovens all afternoon.  Now shredding by hand and will pour juices back on it once I separate the fat.  We anticipate feeding about 150 people tomorrow.

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #2 by pmillen on 15 Sep 2023
  • You two are inspiring.  Evidence of being properly raised.

Oh, yeah, the beef looks perfect.  There are several ways to use it.
  • #3 by elenis on 15 Sep 2023
  • That looks mighty fine. I am sure folks will really enjoy it. I recently did beef chuck roast a new way and my father in law wants me to skip the expensive beef ribs and all going forward and just go that route instead. I used rub and smoked it until I got the color I wanted then set them in a deep disposable aluminum pan with a can of beef consommé and did foil over the top to seal it well and put it back on at 210, just to make sure it wouldn't horribly overcook while I was at church and then let it rest with the foil up for like 15 minutes so the soft bark could somewhat firm up a bit and away I went.   
  • #4 by Bentley on 15 Sep 2023
  • Kudos to Weis Supermarkets for the donation.  It was and interesting mix.  Tomahawk steaks, stew meat, sirloin, chuck, T-bone... It was pretty tasty and I believe will be one of the Best BBQ Beef sandwiches these folks have ever had!
  • #5 by BigDave83 on 15 Sep 2023
  • That looks great and I bet it will have a good flavor with all the different cuts you had to pick from to use. What if anything did you season it with?
  • #6 by Kristin Meredith on 15 Sep 2023
  • Bent put some Montreal Steak seasoning in each pan.  After the cook, I drained the liquids and then put in frig and let fat hardened.  Took the fat off and added the liquid back into the shredded beef for a bit of flavor.  This morning reheated in the ovens with some bbq sauce.  We fed 152 people with only a bit left over, so a good day.
  • #7 by Bar-B-Lew on 15 Sep 2023
  • Congratulations for another great effort helping your local community.
  • #8 by hughver on 15 Sep 2023
  • Way to go Kristen and Bentley!!!
  • #9 by Kristin Meredith on 15 Sep 2023
  • Thanks for all the nice comments, but I feel that there are so many others that also deserve credit, I only cook once a month.  But Manna serves lunch 3 times a week to anyone who comes and wants a lunch. So that is a minimum of 12 teams in one month and many come from other area churches and just use our church facilities.  And the merchants in town are so supportive -- Weiss, Safeway, Martin's grocery stores give us meats and bread and sweets and veggies; Panera gives us a ton of great bread and sweets for the folks to select from and take home for other meals; and once a month Chic-fil-A provides 175 chicken sandwiches for one of the lunches. And a local community farm brings lots of fresh veggies grown by them for folks to select from and take home for other meals.  For a small town it is a great, joint effort to try and feed folks who need a little help.
  • #10 by urnmor on 16 Sep 2023
  • I do not think we mean to slight the others however over the years we have gotten to know you and Bentley and how involved you both are in your community.  That said I also think we all realize there are many unheralded  hero’s  that out there eye day that go un noticed and for that i am very thankful.
  • #11 by Kristin Meredith on 16 Sep 2023
  • I do not think we mean to slight the others however over the years we have gotten to know you and Bentley and how involved you both are in your community.  That said I also think we all realize there are many unheralded  hero’s  that out there eye day that go un noticed and for that i am very thankful.

Yes, this is exactly what I mean!  So many in so many communities do much to help people and are never noticed.  But I too am grateful for all they do!
  • #12 by Bentley on 16 Sep 2023
  • I literally sprinkled Montreal Seasonings, covered with foil and put the pans in the oven, so I really am not deserving of praise on this one!
  • #13 by jdmessner on 16 Sep 2023
  • What a great meal and what a great project. I love it when a community can come together for a common purpose. I miss doing these kinds of dinners. Well done!
  • #14 by Bar-B-Lew on 17 Sep 2023
  • What a great meal and what a great project. I love it when a community can come together for a common purpose. I miss doing these kinds of dinners. Well done!

Says the guy who does them at least once a month
  • #15 by jdmessner on 18 Sep 2023

Says the guy who does them at least once a month

For several years I worked with a group that would put on a community meal once a month. However, it has been a while since I have been able to do it on a regular basis. I do miss it. Now I do something when the occasion arises, but it isn't quite the same. Hopefully we can get something going in the future. There is a beautiful commercial kitchen just sitting there unused. Unfortunately there has not been a lot of support. People see it as too much work. That is a legitimate concern, but with proper planning it is doable. I will continue to do what I can when I can, and we will see what happens.
Pages:
Actions