Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by hughver on 29 Sep 2023
  • Good idea, since I have hickory pellets in the grill now, I'll put a mixture of cherry and apple in the heat shield.
  • #17 by hughver on 29 Sep 2023
  • Thoroughly rinsed and into fridge for 3 hours, change water and leave in fridge overnight start smoke tomorrow morning. The reason for extended soak is that my wife is very anti-salt.
  • #18 by BigDave83 on 29 Sep 2023
  • did you cut a slice off and taste or fry and taste before soaking?
  • #19 by hughver on 04 Oct 2023
  • did you cut a slice off and taste or fry and taste before soaking?

No, but it passed the wife test, she liked it, not too salty. I smoked at an average of 190°. After I fired up the Traeger with the new wood baring heat shield, the temp. rose to over 300°, even though I had it set for 200°. It took over a hour to settle down to 225°. I smoked all pieces for 3 hours, I pulled everything at an IT of 137°. The final product was moist and had a distinct smoke flavor with a hint of Maple thrown in. I wrapped the two larger pieces and one of the small pieces in frog mats Next time I'll use more than 1% maple sugar, maybe. 1.5-2%
  • #20 by BigDave83 on 04 Oct 2023
  • Looks good and sounds like it tasted good also.

Next up grab a pork butt or two and  make some buckboard bacon.
  • #21 by hughver on 05 Oct 2023
  • Looks good and sounds like it tasted good also.

Next up grab a pork butt or two and  make some buckboard bacon.

Nope, next up is the other pork loin and the other two pork tenderloins. Maybe buckboard later, never tried it before. The next round of loins, I'm going to use a more traditional approach. I'll use Paul's technique except I've already removed the fat cap and my Traeger has a hard time holding 350°. I'm going to try and improvise by smoking at 175° for two hours basting with ghee or evoo the second hour instead of fat cap drippings. Then move to the home oven at 350° until IT reaches ~ 140°. I'll use the Bourbon glaze to finish.
Pages:
Actions