Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: It's me again  (Read 468 times)

Chris__M

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
    • Food Adventure
It's me again
« on: October 15, 2023, 04:01:06 PM »

It looks like it is over a year since I posted here.

I haven't actually been doing that much grilling - the thing that mainly drove my grilling habit was feeding people who came to my home to play board games. COVID put paid to that for a few years, and although gaming has restarted, I took a decision to stop my monthly hosting of 15-20 people. I'm getting old, and the big sessions required moving of tables and furniture every time.

I'm still playing games, and I am still going to host, but small groups of up to 5 or 6 (i.e. just one gaming table).

I also took early retirement last year, and although it was a happy decision, the free time threw me for a while. I'm now getting back into a routine.

As a result of all of that, I really hadn't done that much until Spring/Summer this year. I moved my big Louisiana grill from my BBQ area at the end of the garden to just outside my kitchen door, and started using it simply as an oven, for casseroles and bread and stuff. Batch cooking and freezing.

In September I was invited to a hand-fasting of some friends, in a lovely isolated spot in the country. People were bringing food, and I said I could do some pre-cooked BBQ.

1 brisket and 3 pork shoulders resulted in 2 trays of sliced brisket and 3 of pulled pork. The plan was to serve the brisket cold, and I took a small pellet grill with me to reheat the pork. But it was a blistering hot day, and we agreed the pork was perfectly fine cold, too.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

It all went splendidly, and got me back in the mood for grilling. Since then, I have done another brisket and pork shoulder, some went to neighbours, but most went in my freezer. I've also refreshed my relationship with my online butcher (I have some great local butchers, but they don't really understand the BBQ cuts). I've tried a Tomahawk - great fun, and a lovely steak, but - to be honest - I'd just as well have a good plain rib-eye. Next on my list is a tri-tip, which I have never ever tried.

So I will try not to be such a stranger. Hope you are all keeping well!

Chris LG FS Legacy 1200, GMG Davy Crockett, OnlyFire Tabletop Pellet Grill, Weber Smokey Joe, ProQ Cold Smoking Cabinet

Chris__M

• Food Adventure
Re: It's me again
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2023, 04:06:26 PM »

Meanwhile here is my new toy, the OnlyFire Table-top.

[ Invalid Attachment ]
« Last Edit: October 15, 2023, 04:12:58 PM by Chris__M »
Chris LG FS Legacy 1200, GMG Davy Crockett, OnlyFire Tabletop Pellet Grill, Weber Smokey Joe, ProQ Cold Smoking Cabinet

Big Bear

• Using less gas.
  • "BBQ, the reason Pig was created!"
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2023, 04:24:48 PM »

Nice looking grill there. I wonder if it's available stateside?
Made in USA {2004}Lil Tex #7130 w\ Savannah Stoker v1 controller & retrofitted with SS drip pan, fire pot, HD flame shield & Modified with the Original Downdraft Scoop - 20 years old and Still Smoking!

Big Bear

• Using less gas.
  • "BBQ, the reason Pig was created!"
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2023, 04:27:10 PM »

It looks like it is over a year since I posted here.

Oh! and nice to hear from you again...always enjoy how bbq differs around the world...
Made in USA {2004}Lil Tex #7130 w\ Savannah Stoker v1 controller & retrofitted with SS drip pan, fire pot, HD flame shield & Modified with the Original Downdraft Scoop - 20 years old and Still Smoking!

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2023, 04:38:16 PM »

Always nice to have you on the site Chris!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

BigDave83

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • South West PA
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2023, 04:42:38 PM »

I would check Amazon, they seem to have a lot of OnlyFire products.

The first ones like this I remember were the Asmoke and Country Smoker, but now I think everyone has a table model, Pit Boss, Cuisinart, Zgrills. Just search Table top pellet grills.

I know someone that has one of the country smokers and he loves it, uses it piratically every day to cook a burger or two on for lunch. I have a small MG or I would probably look in to one of them.

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2023, 04:44:37 PM »

Chris, nice looking meats, I bet those that are left out of game night will be disappointed.

Congratulations on the retirement.

Chris__M

• Food Adventure
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2023, 07:56:46 PM »

Note it originally came with a single curved metal handle, meant to open the lid, of course, not lift the whole grill by it.

But someone didn't get that memo - not much damage done, except to the screw thread of the handle!

That could be fixed, but I decided to replace it with the two bakelite handles - just as good for opening the grill, but no temptation to lift it by them!

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2023, 09:41:56 PM »

Always nice to hear from you Chris!

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2023, 01:16:38 AM »

I smiled when I saw a new post from you.  It's great to hear from you again.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2023, 07:55:24 AM »

As always it is good to hear from you Chris...   Great picks BTW.   

Brushpopper

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • "The road goes on forever...
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2023, 11:09:50 AM »

It's great to hear from you again Chris!  I was thinking about you last week and hoping all was well with you.
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; I had these:
 Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850, 22" Blackstone, Broil King Keg 4000
Pages: [1]   Go Up