Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Bentley on 20 Oct 2023
  • Decided to go Greek tonight.  Spanakopita I have made a couple of time, Moussaka, if I have I don't remember.  I saw a recipe on youtube that a Greek guy made that his father used to make, it included fried potatoes.  So I am using parts from it and parts from Allrecipes.  The start of the Moussaka.

• #2 by hughver on 20 Oct 2023
  • I used to make Moussaka quite often. It's been several years ago since I've made it.I have my recipe somewhere if you are interested.
  • #3 by Bentley on 20 Oct 2023
  • Thanks for the offer, but it is constructed and ready to go in oven at 4pm.
  • #4 by Bentley on 20 Oct 2023
  • Ground beef, spices, onions and garlic.  Then the top layer, then the Béchamel.

• #5 by Bentley on 20 Oct 2023
  • On to the Spanakopita.  Sautéed onions, garlic, parsley and spinach.  It will go into the feta, ricotta, and eggs when cool.  Then will wrap in the Phyllo.

• #6 by Bentley on 20 Oct 2023
  • I can see why I don't make recipes like this very often.  4 hours of prep, and it's not even cooked...best case scenario it tastes as good as a steak n potatoes or meatloaf and potatoes.  Worst case I don't like it and I could have made a meal I liked in 30 minutes!
  • #7 by Bentley on 20 Oct 2023
  • Mix and fill.  I hate working with Phyllo!

• #8 by hughver on 20 Oct 2023
  • Thanks for the offer, but it is constructed and ready to go in oven at 4pm.

Good thing because I could not find the recipe, but I remember that it had a layer of zucchini.
  • #9 by jdmessner on 20 Oct 2023
  • Looks good! This is a picture of Moussaka that I had in Turkey last week. It was very good, but I don't know everything they put in it.

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #10 by cookingjnj on 21 Oct 2023
  • looks really good Bent.  How did it turn out?
  • #11 by Bentley on 21 Oct 2023
  • My friend loved it.  He had just gone to the Greek Festival last week in Fredericksburg and said my béchamel was better and my sauce had much more meat.  I think he nicely tried to say their eggplant was cooked a little better.  The Spanakopita lacked flavor.  It was a pleasant meal, but to me did not have as much flavor as Cottage Pie or Meatloaf.  To much work for not enough flavor! Sent majority of leftovers home with Myron.
  • #12 by BigDave83 on 21 Oct 2023
  • I have never eaten either of these dishes. But would try them. I doubt I would make them though as it looks like a lot of moving parts and pieces to put together.

• #13 by Bentley on 21 Oct 2023
  • Very interesting, after a night in the fridge and a minute in the microwave.  Much more flavor tonight for dinner with the Spanakopita!

• #14 by Bentley on 22 Oct 2023
  • #15 by Hank D Thoreau on 29 Oct 2023
  • Very interesting, after a night in the fridge and a minute in the microwave.  Much more flavor tonight for dinner with the Spanakopita!

I find that to be the case in a lot of that type of dish. A day in the refrigerator seems to help smooth out the flavors.
Pages:
Actions