Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by reubenray on 28 Oct 2023
  • At Sam's Club a few days ago I was browsing the meat while my wife was shopping.  I noticed that these steaks were on sale for $19.98 a pound.  There were reduced around $9 a pound for only that day.  I resisted, but ended up buying two of them that weighed just shy of a pound each.  Now my wife wants to smoke them immediately, but we just had steaks last week. 

Do I cook them the same way as I do regularly prime ribeye steaks?  I normally smoke them for about 1 1/2 hours and then reverse sear them.  I don't want to mess up an expensive piece of meat.
  • #2 by hughver on 28 Oct 2023
  • That is what I would do.
  • #3 by Brushpopper on 28 Oct 2023
  • Same here.  My wife got some Wagyu hamburger patties from Sam's and I smoked them for a little over an hour with a smoke tube and then finished over charcoal.  They were very moist and tasty.
  • #4 by Hank D Thoreau on 29 Oct 2023
  • The other option is sous vide and sear which is pretty foolproof. I would probably go that way since I would be certain of not over cooking them.
  • #5 by urnmor on 29 Oct 2023
  • At these prices I am assuming these are American and not Japanese Kobe/Wagyu steaks.
  • #6 by Bentley on 29 Oct 2023
  • According to Crowd Cow.  Re: Kobe Beef. "Today, there are only 8 US retailers authorized to sell this rare, premium product, and only 37 US restaurants have the certification to serve it."

At these prices I am assuming these are American and not Japanese Kobe/Wagyu steaks.
  • #7 by dk117 on 30 Oct 2023
  • There were reduced around $9 a pound 
    I don't want to mess up an expensive piece of meat.

Enjoy the cook.  Reverse sear sounds like a great way to go.  $9 a lb ... unfortunately is not all that expensive for beef anymore. 

• #8 by pmillen on 30 Oct 2023
  • Enjoy the cook.  Reverse sear sounds like a great way to go.  $9 a lb ... unfortunately is not all that expensive for beef anymore.

To clarify, as I read it the price was reduced $9/lb.  They were retailing at $20.00/lb. after that reduction.  Pricy, even with the mark-down.
  • #9 by reubenray on 30 Oct 2023
  • Enjoy the cook.  Reverse sear sounds like a great way to go.  $9 a lb ... unfortunately is not all that expensive for beef anymore.

To clarify, as I read it the price was reduced $9/lb.  They were retailing at $20.00/lb. after that reduction.  Pricy, even with the mark-down.

I agree, but I wanted to try them.  Hopefully I won't like them and want to buy more (lol).  I went to another Sam's Club today and they had them reduced also.  My wife is salivating over them and wants me to smoke them ASAP.  I am more of a pork man, but she love beef more.
  • #10 by jdmessner on 31 Oct 2023
  • My wife is salivating over them and wants me to smoke them ASAP.  I am more of a pork man, but she love beef more.

You married a mighty fine woman. Listen to her and honor her wishes!
Pages:
Actions