Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: That time of year again  (Read 3051 times)

jdmessner

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Evart, MI
Re: That time of year again
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2023, 12:53:36 AM »

I may have missed in the original post regarding the Roast.  Is it going to be sliced very thing and used as a sandwich or roll meat?

It is a top sirloin roast. It weighed 11.16 lbs to start. The plan is to smoke it after 28 days, thinly slice it, and serve it on a small pita rounds.
God grant that I may never live to be useless! ― John Wesley

jdmessner

• Evart, MI
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2023, 10:02:54 PM »

The party is starting to get close. The menu fairly well set, but I am sure there will be a few last minute changes. It looks like the weather should be good, so I am optimistic Larry will be able to come out and help with the latkes!

Outside Station
Hot Cider, Roasted Chestnuts, Christmas Music

Station 1
Corn Soup, Devils on Horseback, Greek Salad Skewers

Station 2 - Dips and Spreads with veggies, pita chips, and crackers
Baba Ghanoush, Hummus, Red Pepper Fetta Dip, Artichoke Dip, Igloo Cheeseball with Olive Penguins

Station 3
Spanakopita, Lamb Meatballs in Puff Pastry, Aged Beef on Pita Rounds, Latkes
Toppings: Tzatziki Sauce, Applesauce, Cranberries, Sour Cream

Dessert Station
Figgy Pudding, Gingerbread Trifle, Assorted Fudge, Fruit, Shortbread Cookies, Chocolate Cutting Board

Beverage Station
Coffee, Tea, Hot Chocolate, Hot Cider, Punch

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2023, 10:35:42 AM »

Zowie!  That meal might be worth the drive from Nebraska.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2023, 11:25:02 AM »

Zowie!  That meal might be worth the drive from Nebraska.

I'll meet up with you!!  That sounds like a great party!!!!!

jdmessner

• Evart, MI
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2023, 01:15:10 PM »

The party must be getting close. I just recieved an amazing gift from focuspuller (a.k.a Latke Larry). A case of Maui Gold Pineapple, freshly cut from Hawaii. They will make a most excellent dessert.

Thanks again Larry for all your help with the party. Safe travels, I am looking forward to meeting up with you soon!

focuspuller

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2023, 03:08:54 PM »

The party must be getting close. I just recieved an amazing gift from focuspuller (a.k.a Latke Larry). A case of Maui Gold Pineapple, freshly cut from Hawaii. They will make a most excellent dessert.

Thanks again Larry for all your help with the party. Safe travels, I am looking forward to meeting up with you soon!

You're welcome.

Heading West tomorrow morning...be in Evart Sunday evening...also looking forward to meeting you.
One If By Land
Two If By Sea
Three If By Limo

jdmessner

• Evart, MI
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2023, 11:40:56 PM »

Focuspuller (a.k.a. Larry Latke) made the trek from Connecticut to Michigan to make latkes for the party. We had a nice dinner together. I really enjoyed the conversation and look forward to his help over the next couple of days. Tomorrow will be a day of prep and hopefully we will be good to go for Tuesday!

jdmessner

• Evart, MI
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2023, 11:01:09 AM »

Just pulled the roast after 27 days. It started out at 11.16 lbs. and now it is 8.33 lbs. I will see what it weighs after it is trimmed.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

jdmessner

• Evart, MI
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2023, 04:33:54 PM »

After trimming 6.7 lbs.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

jdmessner

• Evart, MI
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2023, 02:12:37 PM »

Larry in the house making mush! Latkes are soon to follow.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

yorkdude

• Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2023, 04:40:17 PM »

How neat is that.

jdmessner

• Evart, MI
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2023, 05:27:43 PM »

Almost game time. Slicing the beef cold.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

hughver

• University of Louisiana
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2023, 01:27:32 PM »

The meat sure looks good.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2023, 04:02:11 PM »

Hope it all went well and you have some photos!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

jdmessner

• Evart, MI
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2023, 12:21:38 PM »

We made it! Overall, the party went very well, but of course there are always glitches and changes along the way. Here is a summary of the course of events.

The biggest glitch was when the pellet grill malfunctioned the night before the party. It happened when I was getting ready to smoke the beef. After putzing around with it, we discovered the fan was not working properly and there wasn’t time to diagnose it any further. However, all was not lost, I phoned a friend, and he fired up his Z grill and cooked the roast at his house. I had him cook it at 250* F until it reached an IT of 125*. I was very pleased with the way the roast turned out.

I cooled the beef overnight and sliced it on a slicer the day of the party. To reheat it, I preheated a roaster to 250*, and placed the sliced beef on a rack that went on top of a pan with some hot broth in it. After the roaster reached the proper temp, I turned it off and then placed the pan, rack, and sliced beef in the roaster. The residual heat worked surprisingly well at rejuvenating the meat. To serve it, I placed a small slice of beef on a mini pita round with a toothpick and had tzatziki sauce on the side.

The grill malfunction forced a few other menu changes. I was not able to smoke the Devils on Horseback or the chestnuts. There wasn’t oven space to do them inside. Since we had to scrap the outside station, I decided not to make the hot cider and served it cold with the other beverages.

The lamb meatballs were a huge hit. One guy told me he raised lamb and never liked eating it, but he really enjoyed the meatballs. It was high praise coming from him. I used a spice blend that I brought back from Greece. Originally the meatballs were to be smoked and wrapped in puff pastry with a piece of goat cheese. We were facing a time crunch, so this step was eliminated. Fortunately, I had a bottle of one of my favorite BBQ sauces on hand and poured it over the meatballs. Nobody was any the wiser when it came to the switch.

Larry was the unsung hero of the party. I was so glad he made the effort to join us. I enjoyed watching him work. He was very efficient and methodical in the way he approached each step in the process. His latkes were incredible. Crispy outside, soft, light, and creamy inside. There was applesauce, cranberry sauce, and sour cream for toppings. The people I have talked with since the night of the party continue to tell me how much they enjoyed the latkes. Larry brought his “Darth Tater Mr. Potato Head”, and the infamous singing Latke Larry doll. Since we are also in the midst of Hanukkah, we lit a menorah and Larry had some dradles for people to play with.  It made for an impressive display. The pineapple he had sent from Maui was incredibly good and also got rave reviews.

The people on this forum never cease to amaze me. There is not only a wealth of information, but I am very humbled by the kindness and generosity of the folks who contribute and those I have been fortunate enough to meet up with.

I was surprised by the number of people who were not familiar with spanakopita. I was pleased with the way it turned out. The artichoke dip, olive penguins with the igloo cheeseball, Baba Ganoush and the roasted red pepper dip all turned out well. I was not happy with the hummus. It was very bland and needed some doctoring up, but by the time I remembered, it was already on the table.

My wife came through with the desserts. She made a cutting board out of chocolate with figs, dates, nuts, and dried blueberries in the middle. The only problem was that it took people a while to realize it wasn’t real! The figgy pudding was a big hit. We turned oyt the lights, had everyone sing the song, and lit it at the right moment. The flame was beautiful. All in all, I think people were adequately impressed!

There were probably close to 50 guests. It was the first Christmas party we have hosted for this parish, and people did not know what to expect. My guess is there will be more next year! I have some pictures, but not a lot. When it gets busy it is hard to find time to take them. I will try and see if I can get some up in the very near future. Thanks again for being my accountability group, I couldn't have done it without your help! Have a Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah!!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up