Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Canadian John on 02 Nov 2023

•    Has anyone done one of these?  Just picked up a 4.4 pounder..

Searching has led to cooking in water.. Nothing re BBQ. I want to do it on the Memphis.   Any ideas ??

• #2 by ylr on 02 Nov 2023
  • It's fully cooked, right? Could you not just smoke it like a regular pork shoulder until the IT is over 200? Are the veggies also going to be cooked in the Memphis?
  • #3 by GREG-B on 02 Nov 2023
  • Ya cook a fully cooked ham to 200, it's gonna be awfully dry.  150 would be adequate, if it is already cooked. 
  • #4 by Canadian John on 03 Nov 2023
  • It's fully cooked, right? Could you not just smoke it like a regular pork shoulder until the IT is over 200? Are the veggies also going to be cooked in the Memphis?
    Not cooked. It's Pickled.  Has herbs on top..  What I was thinking is to blot dry, rub maple syrup into every nook & cranny then cook @ 275º.. There are times when one

simply has to forage ahead be it right or wrong. 
  • #5 by elenis on 03 Nov 2023
  • So this is a new one for me, I have never heard of Cottage Roll before, but when I begin to look at images and all it almost reminds me of the pork version of corned beef. I would imagine it would stay pretty moist and has some decent fat so I don't see why you couldn't put it on the smoker for a while.
  • #6 by BigDave83 on 03 Nov 2023
  • Isn't it just a boned put picnic shoulder that is netted and brine cured and probably smoked.

I would just make it like a normal piece of ham, smoke it if you like, till it get to 140°ish. If it is netted I would leave it on until it was cooked to keep it intact.

I guess you could boil it, I remember woman toss a chunk of ham in in the big pressure cooker and making it, usually some ham pot pie was in the future in a day or so.
  • #7 by Bentley on 03 Nov 2023
  • I too had never heard of it.  It would certainly be a cut I would steam to cook.  Some pickled sweet red cabbage with apples and a nice side of candied purred carrots would do me just fine!
  • #8 by Canadian John on 04 Nov 2023

•   Did it yesterday...  My best description is that it had pickling spices & 2 bay leaves on top over the very thin fat layer of ~ 3/16". Two wraps of twine to retain shape that

was close to being a cube that makes for an even cook.  No bone.

The prep was to pat it dry, all but the top, & rub in maple syrup. Onto a rack in a pan.

The cook.  Memphis @ 275º for 3 hrs & 15 min. Done temp, 160º. Remove, cover & rest for ~ 20 min.

The taste. The sliced meat was moist, tender & very tasty with no salty taste. Good smoke taste on the outer layer.  The pickling spices gave it that touch of goodness that

was unique.

The bad news.. We couldn't eat all of it.. The good news. Got leftovers.

Would I do it again ???  You bet.

I will have to ask the butcher what the cut is.
  • #9 by Canadian John on 09 Nov 2023

•  The Cottage Roll cut is: PORK LOIN.

Bent- You may wish to transfer this to pork in the recipe section as it was a cook.
Pages:
Actions