Recipe Section > Casserole/One pot meals

Ham Pot Pie

<< < (2/2)

Bar-B-Lew:
No, it is more similar to a dumpling soup

BigDave83:

--- Quote from: pmillen on November 06, 2023, 09:17:49 PM ---Big Dave, tell me if I'm understanding this cook.

It isn't individual one-serving pies, it's more like a big pot of the individual pie's filling with what would normally be the top crust cooked in the pot with the filling.

--- End quote ---

As Lew said more of a flat dumpling. I had to much liquid or not enough dough it is usually thicker, like a gravy, also this was the first time using this brand of ham base and it darkened it more than normal.

I did a trial run on the dough the week before and made it with chicken and chicken stock, added in a bag of frozen mixed vegetables. That I used a corn starch slurry to thicken. and decided to change up the dough a bit for this one.

So you could make it with whatever protein base you like and add in what ever you like. I believe the PA Dutch Ham Pot Pie is just as the ham stock, taters and dough with the shredded ham added back in.

It was something Woman would make when I was growing up and I never paid attention to how she did did the dough, I helped her roll it out as she got to where she couldn't do that any more. I have made it maybe 4 times in the last 15 years she has been gone and it isn't exactly the same as I remembered it, but close enough for me.

Bar-B-Lew:
Somewhere I have the recipe for the dough that my Mom uses that she got from my Dad's PA Dutch mother.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version
Mobile View