Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by reubenray on 13 Nov 2023
  • Did you still wrap it when the meat temperature got around 170's?
  • #17 by Canadian John on 13 Nov 2023
  • Did you still wrap it when the meat temperature got around 170's?

I rarely wrap. I know wrapping enhances moisture retention. I have always been pleased with moisture content of my unwrapped cooks.

If you like bark as we do, non wrapping is favorable.

Although I have never done it, tenting is supposed to the best of both worlds. It should work better if the cook is done in a pan with with some liquid in it.
  • #18 by pmillen on 13 Nov 2023
  • The next time you are cooking a brisket or pork shoulder for yourself try a higher temperature: 275º to 325º.  You may very well be pleasantly surprised how well it  turns out. If not you will have tried & can blame me.

YouTube has a number of videos on the subject.  I think the trend was started by drum smoker users who have a bit of trouble making sweet smoke at 225°F.

EDIT:  Many of the videos can be found by searching on Hot and Fast.
  • #19 by reubenray on 01 Jan 2024
  • My 7.5 lb brisket flat smoke was a success.  I was not rushed and let it smoke.  I started out at 180 for two hours and then bumped it up to 225.  When it got to the stall (150 degree range) the temperatures started to go down.  Being it was 32 degrees outside I bumped the smoker temperature up to 250.  This got the meat temperature going back up again.  When I got to the 170 degree range I wrapped it up in foil and let cook more.  At the 205 meat temperature range I took it off and let it cool down on my kitchen counter.  It was still wrapped up in the foil.  After about 20 minutes I wrapped it up in towels and put it in an ice chest.  I let it sit there for two hours.  I then sliced it and put it in a pan with a little beef broth.  Once it cooled down more I put it in the refrigerator.  The smoking stage took about 12 hours.

The next day I took it to my brother's and his wife put it in the over at 250 for about an hour.  Everyone went crazy about it even my brother who does not care for beef much.  My niece kept going back and stealing another piece.  There were very little leftovers left.   In the future I will do this the same way the day before instead of getting up extra early and rushing it.
  • #20 by pmillen on 01 Jan 2024
  • What did you season this with?
    Did you rub it and go immediately into the smoker?

This seems like a good method for my next brisket cook.  I'm going to try it on my new MAK when I get my heifer processed later this month.

Rubenray, I recall your first posts on the old forum about 7 or 8 years ago.  You wanted to buy a pellet pit but it seemed that you were totally overwhelmed by the numbers available and had paralysis by analysis.

When you finally bought one you zoomed up the learning curve to the point where I consider you a pitmaster and look forward to your posts.  Please continue to do so.

EDIT:  Spelling
  • #21 by reubenray on 01 Jan 2024
  • I seasoned it with Rubwise Texas Brisket rub and it was put on the night before.  I put the brisket on about 4 AM.

Thank you very much for your compliment.  I started out with a stick burner in 2010 and the first pellet smoker was a Traeger Junior with a tailgate kit in 2013.  I then upgraded to a GMG Daniel Boone in 2015 which I just gave to my niece being she wants to learn how to do it.  My latest smoker is a SmokinBrother's PP36 which I love in 2021.   I still have the Traeger Junior which I use when traveling in my RV.
Pages:
Actions