Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pork, Pork and more Pork  (Read 373 times)

hughver

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • University of Louisiana
Pork, Pork and more Pork
« on: November 14, 2023, 11:36:36 AM »

I sent my wife to Costco to buy pork butts and she returned with 30+ lbs. of boneless butts (4). My plan is to make half into bulk Italian sausage and do pulled pork with the other half. It's been a while since I've done sausage so, do I season the partially frozen cubed meat or add the seasoning after grinding?
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
Re: Pork, Pork and more Pork
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2023, 02:52:29 PM »

Either way will work.  I have started leaning towards putting on cubed meat 24 hours before grinding!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

hughver

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2023, 05:12:10 PM »

Either way will work.  I have started leaning towards putting on cubed meat 24 hours before grinding!

That works for me, thanks.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

hughver

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2023, 11:58:40 AM »

I injected and seasoned the second two butts, put into the smoker for 5=6 hours at 225° to make pulled pork. I removed them at an IT of 160°, I had planned to place them in a tightly covered foil pan.  unfortunately, the butts were too thick for my pre-lidded pans, so I cut each butt into thirds (these were boneless butts) and used three pans, I added apple juice, beef broth, and a bit more rub to each pan. Placed them into the home oven set to 350°.  When pork IT reached 206° (3+ hours), It was too late in the evening to pull and additionally, the meat did not seem to be tender enough to pull, so I cooled and placed pork and juices into the refrigerator until morning. In the morning I removed the fat from the juices and placed all of the meat and about half of the juice into my 6 Qt. Instant Pot at high pressure for 30 minutes with a 15-minute natural pressure release. The meat pulled the easiest ever and the flavor with some of the juice added back was best ever.

In the future I'll cut out the pans entirely and do the Instant Pot directly out of the smoker, increase time to 45 minutes. I'm not sure why I did not think of this sooner. ???
« Last Edit: November 20, 2023, 12:03:23 PM by hughver »

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2023, 12:25:51 PM »

New equipment causes recipes to evolve.  I'll remember this for my next pulled pork smoke. 

I recently remarried (Linda) and have combined two households.  It's somewhat overflowing with cooking equipment (and other stuff).  I think that there's an Instapot around here somewhere.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2023, 03:32:29 PM »

I use the Instant pot for finishing things all the time, I will just make big chunks of pork butt, half fist sized, and smoke for a couple hours in a pan and then finish them off in the IP, I cut up chuck roast the same way and do them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up