Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Spatchcock Turkey?  (Read 970 times)

reubenray

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Bella Vista, Arkansas
Spatchcock Turkey?
« on: November 15, 2023, 05:49:34 PM »

I am thinking of trying to do this, but I am hesitant.  Is it as easy to do as the videos show?  Also is it worth the trouble of doing this flavor wise instead of a regular turkey on the smoker?

I have been searching for recipes for doing this and they have a wide range of different temperatures.  What temperature have y'all done this at?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2023, 05:51:13 PM by reubenray »
Traeger Junior, Smokin Brothers PP36 and 17" Blackstone Griddle

BigDave83

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • South West PA
Re: Spatchcock Turkey?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2023, 06:28:17 PM »

I have done them and chickens also the same way. They seem to cook quicker and they don't sit in their own juices like in roasting pan. I have done them in the oven on a rack on a half sheet pan.

as for cooking cook like you would a normal bird, only expect it to be done sooner. I aim for 158° in the breast and 168-170° in the thigh.

below is a link you can pick your poison as to a video. I will also add a link to Glen and Friends and he shows 3 ways to do it.

List of videos.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=how+to+spatchcock+a+turkey

Glen & Friends.
https://youtu.be/KY5aZav8HKY?si=2FbolbTk9a9UAQxc

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2023, 10:25:13 AM »

Spatchcocked is the only way I cook fowl.

Skin side down to retain moisture, smoke 225º for 1 hour then 375º until done (160º - 165º), time depends on weight.

It tends to cook more evenly & quicker.

My go-to rub is MEMPHIS DUST.

Aways super juicy moist meat. I jokingly state I have a problem with the meat being too juicy.

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2023, 10:53:07 AM »

I have used Glen's first choice, completely separating the white and dark meat, for years, although his process is easier than mine.  You can anticipate the difference in cooking times and put the two parts in the pit at different times.  They'll finish simultaneously if you time it right.

You long-term members may recall a post I made on Pelletheads called I Haven't Spatchcocked a Chicken in Years.

I doubt that I deleted the photograph I included with the post, but I can't locate it.

EDIT:  Rephrasing.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2023, 10:56:16 AM by pmillen »
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2023, 12:22:37 PM »

I will go with brined parts again this year.  To be able to pull parts off as they are at correct temperatures and textures is my goal!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

pmillen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2023, 09:04:38 PM »

I found it!

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Gee, 10 years ago.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2023, 10:03:45 PM »

I remember that one!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

reubenray

• Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2023, 06:40:01 AM »

I will go with brined parts again this year.  To be able to pull parts off as they are at correct temperatures and textures is my goal!

Are you referring to the method where the turkey is cut in pieces like the above video you referred to?  I have never cut up a chicken or turkey.  My wife does not have the hand strength to do this, so it is up to me.  I figured if it looks ugly it will still taste good.  I plan on cutting it and then dry brining it.

Being it will just be my wife and myself I originally planned on doing a turkey breast.  But the cost of a turkey breast compared to a whole turkey changed it.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2023, 06:46:26 AM by reubenray »

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2023, 08:12:20 AM »

Are you referring to the method where the turkey is cut in pieces like the above video you referred to?  I have never cut up a chicken or turkey.  My wife does not have the hand strength to do this, so it is up to me.  I figured if it looks ugly it will still taste good.  I plan on cutting it and then dry brining it.

Being it will just be my wife and myself I originally planned on doing a turkey breast.  But the cost of a turkey breast compared to a whole turkey changed it.

The nice thing about a whole turkey is if you like the dark meat and cut up the bird you can freeze the thighs and drums for later. Brine cure the drums for some good smoked turkey legs.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2023, 09:19:34 AM »

You could make some good old fashioned Pennsylvania turkey BBQ with any leftovers.  I usually eat a few sandwiches in the early evening after we have an early T-Day lunch for our main meal.  This is a link to the local turkey farmer who is less than 5 miles from my house and may still be the one who provides turkeys for the White House.

https://jaindl.com/turkeys/cooking-tips-recipes/pennsylvania-dutch-style-turkey-bbq/
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

dk117

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2023, 02:25:11 PM »

I post to this effect every thanksgiving.  I've been buying a frozen turkey breast (yes they are outrageously expensive this year) bone in 9 lbs, and then giant turkey legs from the asian market.  Been doing this for years.  The legs go on several hours before the breast.  all are brined.  This year I have 10 drumsticks.    Half will be taken as leftovers.  Works every time, breast 160, legs headed towards 180. 

DK
2018 Gator Pit Premier Texas II
2004 Vermont Castings Natural Gas Grill

reubenray

• Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2023, 05:42:11 PM »

I have used Glen's first choice, completely separating the white and dark meat, for years, although his process is easier than mine.  You can anticipate the difference in cooking times and put the two parts in the pit at different times.  They'll finish simultaneously if you time it right.

You long-term members may recall a post I made on Pelletheads called I Haven't Spatchcocked a Chicken in Years.

I doubt that I deleted the photograph I included with the post, but I can't locate it.

EDIT:  Rephrasing.

I think this is how I am going to try this at.  Which part will get done faster?

pmillen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2023, 06:22:48 PM »

Which part will get done faster?

In my experience dark meat gets done faster when the whole bird is cooked or when they're separated and cooked together.

Getting the two pieces to finish simultaneously is a difficult juggling act.  Most turkey cooking people want the dark meat to cook to 175° to soften the connective tissue while they want to pull the white meat at considerably lower temperature, say 160°, maybe less.

I usually put the white meat in first.  I put the dark meat in when the white meat IT has risen 15°.  You could wait longer, maybe 25°, but it's hard to judge and your chosen ITs for pulling will vary the time interval.

I rarely hit it exact, but it's of no consequence since the fowl meat will hold nicely, even if you have to use the foil, blanket, cooler technique.
Paul

reubenray

• Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2023, 05:18:45 AM »

My turkey day smoking is now turkey days.  My niece wants me to smoke one for her and her in-laws.  I will do that one the day before and it will be done the basic way.  She will have to heat it up on Thanksgiving Day.  I did this for everyone two years ago and it was a big hit.  I have told her that I would give her my GMG Daniel Boone is she wanted it, but she has not came to get it yet.  I guess it is easier that I do it instead.

My smoker will get a real workout this week.  A turkey on Wednesday, another turkey on Thursday and smoked chantilly potatoes on Saturday.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2023, 06:48:48 AM by reubenray »

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2023, 07:06:27 AM »

My turkey day smoking is now turkey days.  My niece wants me to smoke one for her and her in-laws.  I will do that one the day before and it will be done the basic way.  She will have to heat it up on Thanksgiving Day.  I did this for everyone two years ago and it was a big hit.  I have told her that I would give her my GMG Daniel Boone is she wanted it, but she has not came to get it yet.  I guess it is easier that I do it instead.

My smoker will get a real workout this week.  A turkey on Wednesday, another turkey on Thursday and smoked chantilly potatoes on Saturday.

Sounds like a busy week. Plus getting the rest of the meal ready for Thursday.

Now i need to go find that potato recipe, I think I tried that before and it was well received here.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up