Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ideas on simple to hold sides.  (Read 413 times)

BigDave83

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • South West PA
Ideas on simple to hold sides.
« on: November 20, 2023, 07:30:22 AM »

Her sister wants to do Thanksgiving so I guess that is where we are going, no turkey she wants to do ham, which is better because they don't cook so pretty good and have no idea on timing, so the taters are mashed and sitting there but the meat has another 45 minutes. I have offered to come and help but she said you just bring the haluski. I think we get Christmas and New Years eve.

So we are going to do something Saturday evening, and turn it into a game night. Yay. I am getting a turkey and going to dismember and sous vide then shred it all and make stock from the carcass  for a gravy and then add in the turkey, for hot turkey sandwiches, maybe made some waffles, and or some potato pearls.

So trying to find sides that would hold well and more importantly they will eat, most of them, their diet it stuff from the frozen section they heat up, vegetables and things out of the ordinary are usually not well received. 

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
Re: Ideas on simple to hold sides.
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2023, 07:49:54 AM »

If you have a crock pot, you can put almost any side in it and it will hold well at low.  Did it one time with a load of mashed potatoes and worked really well. If they would eat green bean casserole, I think it would hold well in a crock pot.

You could also make corn pudding, a favorite!  It comes out of the oven so hot that it will stay hot a long time in something like a Corning ware bowl.

Also, I love cranberries as a side (my Mom added cut up canned pears and used the pear juice to cook the cranberries and it added a nice sweetness and extra flavor) and I love cranberries on a turkey sandwich, even if hot!

On edit -- thought of one more. scalloped potatoes, I mean who doesn't love potatoes with cheese and cream (and we add thinly sliced onions).  As a casserole dish, it again, comes out fo the oven piping hot and will stay hot for a long time.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2023, 08:27:49 AM by Kristin Meredith »

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2023, 03:28:18 PM »

If you have a crock pot, you can put almost any side in it and it will hold well at low.  Did it one time with a load of mashed potatoes and worked really well. If they would eat green bean casserole, I think it would hold well in a crock pot.

You could also make corn pudding, a favorite!  It comes out of the oven so hot that it will stay hot a long time in something like a Corning ware bowl.

Also, I love cranberries as a side (my Mom added cut up canned pears and used the pear juice to cook the cranberries and it added a nice sweetness and extra flavor) and I love cranberries on a turkey sandwich, even if hot!

On edit -- thought of one more. scalloped potatoes, I mean who doesn't love potatoes with cheese and cream (and we add thinly sliced onions).  As a casserole dish, it again, comes out fo the oven piping hot and will stay hot for a long time.

Thank you. I have several slow cookers.

The scalloped potatoes they would eat, but with having waffles and mashed potatoes that may not work out so well. This may be on the menu for Christmas or New Years though.

I did the corn thing, not sure what it was called but was corn, creamed corn, sour cream and a box of jiffy cornbread mix, probably something else in there also, and a couple of them liked it and then someone else didn't and then none of them did, they are quite a crew.

Cranberries, that would be a waste of time, it would not get eaten.

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2023, 09:21:36 PM »

Corn pudding is corn, creamed corn, eggs, a bit of sugar and milk so that it is basically a corn custard.

SmokinHandyman

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Springfield, Illinois
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2023, 07:04:57 AM »

This can be done in a slow cooker.

CRACK GREEN BEANS
5 regular cans of green beans, drained (note: you can substitute a similar amount of frozen green beans, about 4 (12-ounce) bags, thawed, or you can use fresh green beans, too)
12 slices bacon
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup butter, melted
7 teaspoons soy sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
Put the drained beans in a 9x13 pan. Add the cooked bacon pieces. Mix the remaining ingredients ( the crack sauce). Pour over the beans and bake 40 minutes at 350. Toss and serve
If you are gonna cook, Make it a fun day even when ya mess it up!                     Louisiana LG700

hughver

• University of Louisiana
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2023, 10:35:11 AM »

This sounds good, but on the surface, it seems to lack moisture, especially if fresh beans are used. :2cents:
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
Renaissance Faire
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2023, 11:02:45 AM »

Renaissance Faire Green Beans would do very well in a crock pot!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Big Bear

• Using less gas.
  • "BBQ, the reason Pig was created!"
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2023, 02:23:37 PM »

Made in USA {2004}Lil Tex #7130 w\ Savannah Stoker v1 controller & retrofitted with SS drip pan, fire pot, HD flame shield & Modified with the Original Downdraft Scoop - 20 years old and Still Smoking!

hughver

• University of Louisiana
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2023, 05:25:30 PM »

Looks great, besides, I like spinach better than green beans anyway, I will try this before the holiday season is over. First, I have to buy one of those pans. ;D
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas
Pages: [1]   Go Up